Yes, the tough-talking so-called "alpha male" president ran away again.

Donald Trump is a typical bully. He talks a big game, but when it comes time to face difficult questions, he runs away.

On her show last week, Rachel Maddow illustrated how Trump totally freezes whenever he's asked about the issue of Mike Flynn and/or Russia. You probably remember the time he wandered out of the Oval Office during a signing ceremony, forgetting to sign that day's executive order. Why? A reporter asked him about Russia.

Likewise, Trump completely avoided Saturday night's White House Correspondent's Dinner because he can't deal with people making fun of him. Instead, he ran to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to nuzzle up to the manboobed bosom of his cult-like disciples. Bock-bock-bock

Chicken Trump appeared again during a Face The Nation interview in the White House with John Dickerson. Trump was asked about the ludicrous claim that Barack Obama wire-tapped Trump and his staff in Trump Tower prior to the election. It's a claim that's been debunked numerous times, including by Republican members of Congress as well as FBI Director James Comey

Nevertheless, Trump insisted both that it definitely happened and that he doesn't stand by his own claim. In other words, once again, Trump contradicted himself in a single rant. Here's how it went down:

TRUMP: You saw what happened with surveillance. And everybody saw what happened with surveillance–

DICKERSON: Difficulties how?

TRUMP: — and I thought that — well, you saw what happened with surveillance. And I think that was inappropriate, but that’s the way–

DICKERSON: What does that mean, sir?

TRUMP: You can figure that out yourself.

So, here, Trump once again accused Obama of conducting surveillance on Trump Tower. He said it three times, including once in which he said "everybody saw what happened," right?

DICKERSON: Well, I– the reason I ask is you said he was– you called him “sick and bad”.

TRUMP: Look, you can figure it out yourself. He was very nice to me with words, but– and when I was with him — but after that, there has been no relationship.

DICKERSON: But you stand by that claim about him?

TRUMP: I don’t stand by anything.

And here, four sentences later, he claims to not stand by literally anything, much less his surveillance accusation. Again, he's contradicting himself for some reason. Why? Why the indecisiveness and dodging here?

TRUMP: I just — you can take it the way you want. I think our side’s been proven very strongly. And everybody’s talking about it. And frankly it should be discussed. I think that is a very big surveillance of our citizens. I think it’s a very big topic. And it’s a topic that should be number one. And we should find out what the hell is going on.

There it is again! "Everybody's talking about it" and "it should be discussed," but he doesn't "stand by any of it." What?

DICKERSON: I just wanted to find out, though. You’re– you’re the president of the United States. You said he was “sick and bad” because he had tapped you — I’m just–

Naturally, as Dickerson seemed to suggest, the president should be able to immediately discover whether the previous president ordered the NSA to conduct surveillance against him. But the only evidence he was able to acquire turned out to be nothing -- reverse engineered by his staff and an unwitting Devin Nunes in order to assuage Trump personally.

TRUMP: You can take — any way. You can take it any way you want.

DICKERSON: But I’m asking you. Because you don’t want it to be–

TRUMP: You don’t–

DICKERSON: –fake news. I want to hear it from–

TRUMP: You don’t have to–

DICKERSON: –President Trump.

TRUMP: –ask me. You don’t have to ask me.

DICKERSON: Why not?

TRUMP: Because I have my own opinions. You can have your own opinions.

DICKERSON: But I want to know your opinions. You’re the president of the United States.

TRUMP: Okay, it’s enough. Thank you. Thank you very much.

At this point, Trump -- looking like the hilarious Tony Atamanuik version of himself, complete with stupid hair and tie -- wandered away again, retreating like a coward behind the Resolute Desk. (Irony: avoiding tough questions by hiding behind a desk named "resolute.") Yes, the tough-talking so-called "alpha male" president ran away again. When the going gets tough, Trump wets his big boy pants just like an emotionally wounded child. Instead of having the courage of his stupid, stupid convictions, Brave Sir Donald ran away.

His most loyal supporters still think he's capable of making tough decisions even though he similarly ran away from repealing NAFTA; he ran away from making Mexico pay for his ridiculous wall; he ran away from holding Angela Merkel accountable for [something, something, something]; and he ran away from getting tough on China regarding alleged currency manipulation, all of which he promised to do during the campaign. But once Chancellor Merkel, President Xi, President Peña-Nieto and Prime Minister Trudeau pushed back with mega-doses of reality, Trump ran away.

Like always.

Bock. Bock. Bock. Chicken.

RELATED