Overwhelming Conservative Support For Syria Attack Exposes A Political Movement Beyond Saving

The hypocrisy literally does not get any more black and white (or monumental) than this and it's time we stop pretending Republican voters can be reasoned with.
The hypocrisy literally does not get any more black and white (or monumental) than this and it's time we stop pretending Republican voters can be reasoned with.
144642_5_

hy·poc·ri·sy

/həˈpäkrəsē/

noun

  1. the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

One of the very few silver linings of the ongoing Trumpster fire in the White House is that America's right wing has stopped pretending they have any kind of morals, ethics or principles. It's wonderfully refreshing to see them openly admit that the only thing that matters is their political allegiance to the Republican Party and absolutely nothing else.

For the most recent and clearest example of this, take a look at how both Republicans and Democrats responded to both Obama wanting to bomb Syria and Trump actually doing it:

That 56% swing? That's what a political movement devoid of core principles looks like. Democrats, on the other hand, were quite consistent. Why? Because the left, for all of our diverse ideologies, actually has a core set of values that we generally don't jettison when it's politically convenient.

We all know that once Trump is forced out of office, Republicans voters will immediately feign horror. Perhaps they'll insist that Trump wasn't a "real" Republican. Perhaps they'll say they never voted for him. Perhaps they'll break out their little tricorner hats again and try to resurrect the Tea Party as a "separate" party from the "corrupt" GOP. It worked for them after Bush and the Republicans left the country in shambles, why not try it again?

And this ease with which conservatives lie about what they believe and who they support is exactly why we have to banish them from the conversation. Driftglass of The Professional Left podcast has essentially the same thought process: These people are scum and treating them as equals ensures they will stab us in the back at the first opportunity.

So we don't. I'm not interested in reaching out to people who will flip flop on whether or not America should go to war depending on how politically expedient it is. People who embrace a president that is exactly the kind of tyrannical monster then painted President Obama as are people that cannot be trusted. If their biggest problem with a tyrant is that he wasn't their tyrant, there's no point in finding common ground with them. There isn't any and it's a waste of time and resources to look for it.

Rather, we should work every minute of every day exposing them for the amoral opportunists they are. For the next 20 years, the phrase "The Party of Trump" should accompany every mention of the GOP. We can never let them forget they voted for open white nationalism, misogyny, dishonesty on an unheard of scale, and corruption. Oh, and utter incompetence. The day Trump leaves the White House for the last time (preferably in handcuffs), the conservative movement will try to wash the blood and filth off their hands and it's up to us to keep them honest for the first time in decades. The alternative is to allow them to hit the reset button (again) and pay no price (again) for what they've done to our country. I don't know about you but I'm tired of giving them a mulligan so they can be even worse then they were last time.

We deserve better than the broken and disgraceful vision of America the right wants and so do our children.

- This article kills fascists

RELATED ARTICLES