The narcissistic family is a vicious cycle. Unless you break away from it, you are destined to repeat it. But at what point do we stand up and say this is wrong? You’re a fraud, and a liar just like your father, who have you become?

I know what it is like to have a wildly disliked father. I know what it is like to be vilified— or ostracized rather— as a result of simply being my father’s daughter. It is never a fair assumption to make of a child (or an adult child of—), as we don’t choose our family. I was only nine years old when my father began his shady business dealings with Stratton Oakmont Inc. the now defunct company founded by real life “Wolf of Wall Street,” Jordan Belfort....

To continue reading this article, please go here. A Banter Membership gets you access to the magazine and all our Members Only content. Your membership also directly funds independent journalism and is greatly appreciated!

RELATED ARTICLES