Pence Proclaims Pro-Life March is About "Love" And "Compassion". It isn't, and I Should Know

"After I made the decision to terminate the pregnancy, I went to a clinic and what I experienced as I pulled into the parking lot was almost as terrible as the procedure. Throngs of pro-life protesters were stationed outside of the clinic screaming at me as I walked up to the door."
Updated:
Original:
Untitled1

On Friday, Vice President Mike Pence spoke at the 43rd annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. and bragged about the GOP's success at pushing anti-choice legislation through. Pence proclaimed "life is winning" to the crowd of conservatives who wish to strip women of their constitutionally protected rights:

"Life is winning in America and today is a celebration in that progress. We’ve come to a historic moment in the cause of life and we must approach it with with compassion for every American. Life is winning in America because of you. Let this movement be known for love," he added to thunderous applause. "Not anger. For compassion. Not confrontation."

What a wonderful message of love, right? Actually, it isn't, because the right does not "approach it with compassion" and it is not a movement known for "love." The anti-choice right is a vapid, militant movement that seeks to shame women.  And I have personally experienced just how horrible they are.

When I was seventeen years old I found out I was pregnant. I was four months away from my high school graduation and when the pregnancy test showed a positive result, I was terrified. After much deliberation (and many, many hour of crying) I decided that an abortion was the right thing to do for my future. I was not ready to have a child and I firmly believe that nobody should bring a child in this world if they are going to look at that tiny human as a burden.

After I made the decision to terminate the pregnancy, I went to a clinic and what I experienced as I pulled into the parking lot was almost as terrible as the procedure. Throngs of pro-life protesters were stationed outside of the clinic screaming at me as I walked up to the door. There were preschool aged children holding up signs with photos of cut up fetuses. There were adults telling me that I was going to go to Hell. Here I was, a scared teenager and I was being viciously harassed by "Christians" as I made what is still the most difficult decision of my life. And this is not something only I have experienced. Every day, all across the country, these protesters scream at women as they too make the hardest choice of their lives. Does that sound like a compassionate movement known for its love?

Real compassion would have been one of those people walking up to me and giving me a hug. Real love would've and still could be demonstrated by supporting a woman's right to make decisions for her own medical care without being ostracized by a group of people who call themselves followers of Christ. It is perfectly fine to be against abortions, that is a personal choice. It is not, however, fine to try to impose those beliefs on someone else and then shame that person when they refuse to cooperate.

If this is the right's idea of love, I don't want to know what they do when they hate someone.

RELATED