Trump Asks James Comey To Stay On As FBI Director, Raising Concerns Of Quid Pro Quo Corruption

And there won't be any cover-ups expected as the FBI investigates Trump and his allies. Scout's honor.
James Comey

In a move that seems like it was designed to maximize the stench of corruption already permeating Trump's administration, FBI Director James Comey has been asked to continue in his role as the head of the allegedly nonpartisan agency:

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, told his top agents from around the country that he had been asked by President Trump to stay on the job running the federal government’s top law enforcement agency, according to people familiar with the matter.

A decision to retain Mr. Comey would spare the president another potentially bruising confirmation battle. It also would keep Mr. Comey at the center of the F.B.I.’s investigation into several Trump associates and their potential ties with the Russian government.

It's hard to see this as anything other than a reward for services rendered and an opportunity to quash the troubling investigations. We're not supposed to talk about it anymore because it hurts Trump's feelings but Comey did, in fact, tip the election to Trump with his vacuous letter to Congress about Hillary's emails. At the same time, Comey was "forced" to publicly discuss the case, he covered up the fact that the FBI was also investigating the Trump campaign receiving funding and intelligence from Russia. They went so far as to request a wiretap that was refused.

Comey claims that they couldn't release this information because it might have affected the election but had no such qualms about torpedoing Hillary. This syncs up quite well with what we know about the FBI turning into "Trumpland," with agents openly plotting to interfere with the election.

The fact that Comey is being investigated for his actions would normally make him politically toxic but Trump prizes precisely this kind of loyalty, making it no surprise at all that he wants to keep the director right where he is. After all, it makes it a lot easier to engage in corruption on a massive scale when you have the head of the FBI in your pocket.

- This article kills fascists

If you want to know how The Daily Banter is planning on taking on Donald Trump and how you can help, please go here.

RELATED