Quote of the Day: Keep Humiliating Trump Because it's Working

While it shouldn't normally be a goal to make the president do his job badly, when you have someone committed to rolling back women's rights, dismantling environmental protection, lying through his teeth and trampling all over the constitution, it is more than a noble goal -- it is a civic duty.
humiliate trump

Generally speaking, I don't condone vindictiveness. Humiliating people for the sake of it is a poor reflection of character, and as I have evolved as a writer over the years, I believe I am considerably kinder when it comes to taking people to task. I generally only really go after genuinely nasty people who are in positions of power, and even then I try to stick to the intellectual arguments rather than needlessly humiliate them.

But this time, I think humiliating Donald Trump at every given opportunity might well be warranted. And I say this not to cause the man unnecessary pain, but as a tactic to achieve a noble goal: his removal from office as soon as humanly possible. Alex Shepard at The New Republic echoes this point in response to Trump's new obsession with proving he really won the popular vote against Hillary Clinton. He writes

Trump is fixated on the result of the election because he seems to be obsessed with his own legitimacy as president. This fixation not only further damages his presidency by showcasing Trump’s pettiness and narcissism, it also ties him up—it damages his political capital and distracts him from pushing his destructive policies. Obviously this won’t stop Trump from doing a lot of damage, but reminding the country—and Trump himself—of his historic unpopularity is still a winning political tactic. Let’s keep it up.

Trump's thin skin has always been his weakness -- he is incapable of focusing on bigger issues while embroiled in pointless twitter battles or feuds with anyone he feels threatened by. So the more he is delegitimized, mocked and insulted, the less time he is going to spend laying waste to the country and the environment. The nastier the fights Trump gets involved in, the more likely he is to make a major mistake. While it shouldn't normally be a goal to make the president do his job badly, when you have someone committed to rolling back women's rights, dismantling environmental protection, lying through his teeth and trampling all over the constitution, it is more than a noble goal -- it is a civic duty.

RELATED