It Only Took Trump One Day To Break Over 30 Campaign Promises

Trump said he would get down to work on his first day, first hour. But those came and went and almost nothing he promised got done.
Updated:
Original:

Well, it's here, for better or worse (expect worse)--Donald Trump is the 45th President. He made a lot of promises during and after the campaign, saying he would be very busy from his first day, and telling Americans "your head will spin" from the speed at which he gets things done.

Think Progress reports that they took a look at Trump's statements, and counted 36 things he said would be done on his first day in office. According to what they found, he honored exactly two of those promises.

Not only did Trump fail to keep the promises he made for his first day, he failed to keep the ones he made for his first hour in office. He had promised to take action on immigration in order to get rid of "international gangs of thugs and drug cartels." In fact, he promised that would be the first thing he would sign. He never addressed it at all. Instead, what his new administration did during that first hour was screw over a lot of the people who voted for him. They suspended an announced reduction in a federal mortgage insurance interest rate that would have saved the average homebuyer some $500 a year. That was a "bonus" for the mortgage banking lobby. Trump had never mentioned the issue.

The new God-Emperor only took care of two items of business as promised: he ordered a hiring freeze for all federal employees, and he issued a moratorium on new federal regulations.

The list provided by Think Progress of things that were supposed to happen but didn't is substantial, and cuts to the core of what Trump promised for his administration: labeling China a currency manipulator, announcing plans to renegotiate NAFTA, announcing withdrawal from the controversial Trans-Pacific Partnership, and proposing a constitutional amendment for term limits are just a few of the things that didn't get touched.

A few days before he took the oath of office the president-who-would-be-king was already waffling on his "first day" promises, saying that his first day wasn't going to be Inauguration Day, but would be Monday, January 23. At least that's what he told The Times Of London.

[W]e’re gonna go very strong borders from the day I get in. One of the first orders I’m gonna sign – day one – which I will consider to be Monday as opposed to Friday or Saturday. Right? I mean my day one is gonna be Monday because I don’t want to be signing and get it mixed up with lots of celebration, but one of the first orders we’re gonna be signing is gonna be strong borders.

Trump has already failed one major test of leadership. Being POTUS is a 24/7 type job. If he considered all of those things he had outlined over the weeks and months leading up to January 20 important enough to do on the first day, they should have been done on the actual first day. Instead he declared Monday as his "first day" so the duties of actually running the county wouldn't get in the way of his having a good time and wallowing in the admiration of his adoring fans. He said so himself.

RELATED