Trump Forces National Park To Suspend Their Twitter Activity After Mocking His Inauguration Crowd

The new president proved, once again, what a thin-skinned bully he is.
Donald trump yelling

In the weeks leading up to Donald Trump's inauguration, the new POTUS claimed that the crowds at his swearing in ceremony were going to be YUGE. However, on Friday, the Banter's Justin Rosario took a trip to the ceremony and reported that just wasn't the case and he wasn't the only one to notice how pathetic turnout was, either. Shortly after Trump was sworn in as the 45th president, the National Park Service retweeted a photo comparing Obama and Trump's inauguration crowds. And while the photo may have been completely accurate, the new administration was so annoyed by it that the Interior Department temporarily suspended the twitter privileges of all of its agencies.

natlparks

Gizmodo, obtained an internal memo from that was sent to Park Services explaining why their new Twitter policy. It reads:

We have received direction from the Department through [the Washington Support Office] that directs all [Department of Interior] bureaus to immediately cease use of government Twitter accounts until further notice. PWR parks that use Twitter as part of their crisis communications plans need to alter their contingency plans to accommodate this requirement. Please ensure all scheduled posts are deleted and automated cross-platform social media connections to your twitter accounts are severed. The expectation is that there will be absolutely no posts to Twitter. In summary, this Twitter stand down means we will cease use of Twitter immediately. However, there is no need to suspend or delete government accounts until directed. This does not affect use of other approved social media platforms. We expect further guidance to come next week and we will share accordingly. Thanks for your help!

In addition to the internal memo, the Washington Post acquired Interior Department emails that stated Trump's team were the ones who issued the directive. "All bureaus and the department have been directed by incoming administration to shut down Twitter platforms immediately until further notice," the email stated.

Thomas Crosson, a spokesman for the National Park Service, said that the retweets mocking Trump sad crowd were "inconsistent with the agency’s approach to engaging the public through social media" and on Saturday morning the agency issued an apology via its Twitter account which, apparently, was enough to restore their tweeting privileges:

The decision to temporarily suspend the agencies' Twitter accounts, no matter how short-lived, further proves what a thin-skinned bully our new president is. He is a man who has no problem making bombastic, nasty statements about other people on Twitter and in speeches, but God forbid someone give him a taste of his own medicine. And while it wasn't exactly professional of Park Services to mock him, it didn't have to be taken so far. On a day when the nation should be talking about what the next president is going to do to make this country better, we are instead discussing yet another feud he's involved in.

Sixty million Americans elected a giant man-baby and this is what we have to look forward to for the next four years. How embarrassing.

RELATED