Successfully fighting Trump demands unity. And unity means the progressive movement joining with center-left liberals. It means center-left liberals joining with moderates. And, yes, it means all of the above joining with conservatives and center-right opponents of Trumpism.

Now that the host of The Celebrity Apprentice has been inexplicably elected and inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States, it's more important than ever for the opposition to unite around the idea of blocking his nefarious deeds. More importantly, it's crucial that all Americans -- chiefly those who see this monster for who he is -- unite around the goal of making sure this never, ever happens again.

A unified opposition can, and will, achieve these goals. A divided opposition will only serve to guarantee more Trumps in our future and, with it, the disintegration of our republic under the awkward weight of idiocracy -- of more ungainly, dangerous, cartoonish doofuses like Trump in the White House.

Successfully fighting Trump demands unity. And unity means the progressive movement joining with center-left liberals. It means center-left liberals joining with moderates. And, yes, it means all of the above joining with conservatives and center-right opponents of Trumpism. Naturally, we don't all agree on policy, but we agree on perhaps the most critical issue of our time: reining in this brutal pandemic -- this viral populism and bigoted white nationalism that's infected too many voters.

It means reaching out to conservatives who are deeply skeptical of Trump for the same reasons the rest of us are -- his autocratic tendencies, his stunted view of democracy and his erratic, unpresidential behavior, to name just a few of the myriad problems with the notion of "President Trump." The left would do well to form alliances with sensible anti-Trump conservatives like Rick Wilson, Steve Schmidt, Charlie Sykes, Tom Nichols, John Schindler, Nicolle Wallace, David Frum and many others who've decided to put nation ahead of party. They may say things, by the way, that will piss off the left in terms of policy prescriptions or their assessment of President Obama, but their present goals are the same as ours: Trumpism can not be allowed to flourish.

It also means Hillary Clinton supporters burying their primary-season vitriol against Bernie Sanders supporters. Vice versa, of course, for supporters of Bernie. The primary fight had its place and had its uses, but now the enemies at the gate are far more egregious and our mission to marginalize those enemies requires all hands on deck. It requires unrelenting tenacity. And, more than anything else, it requires a unified anti-Trump coalition.

As my good friend and podcast partner, Chez Pazienza, said on our show the other day, America has crossed a terrible River Rubicon in elevating Trump and his minion. Historically, Julius Caesar, declaring, "Alea iacta est," ("the die is cast") knew that marching his army across the Rubicon and into Rome, which was forbidden by law, couldn't be rolled back. In our current predicament, we've allowed the door swing wide open for future Trumps, but there's still an opportunity to contain the madness that's escaped into the world.

In the end, it might not be much of a challenge to turn Trump's brand of destabilizing awfulness into political poison. Indeed, he does much of the legwork himself. That said, there's also an extraordinarily strong chance the pandemic could spread, threatening democracy and, not least of all, global stability.

We can still win this fight.

Let's get to work.

RELATED