"When a conservative finds out that I am a stay-at-home, they tell me to "get a job." Every. Single. Time. It's reflexive, they can't stop themselves. Part of it is an attempt to insult me as a man (as in, real men don't change diapers) but the philosophical underpinning is that raising children possesses no intrinsic value to society. You're only worth the money you earn."

As a stay-at-home father of an autistic son and a neurotypical daughter, sometimes it feels like I'm a Rodney Dangerfield skit; I get no respect, no respect at all. It's the only time in my life that I've been subjected to relentless sexism and when it comes to political discussions, it gets even worse...

To continue reading this article, please go here. A Banter Membership gets you access to the magazine and all our Members Only content. Your membership also directly funds independent journalism and is greatly appreciated!

RELATED