Nearly ten years ago, on December 19. 2007, I published my official endorsement of Barack Obama. For much of the previous year, I assumed Hillary Clinton would be the nominee (early shades of 2015-16's conventional wisdom). She was safely ahead in the polls and even the Republicans were prepping to face Hillary in the general. It was Hillary's time, I thought, so I better wrap my head around the idea of more Clintons. But then I watched then-Senator Obama's Jefferson-Jackson speech in Iowa, delivered without a prompter (one of the rules of the event). Politically speaking, it was a mind-blowing experience....

To continue reading this article, please go here.

A Banter Membership gets you access to the magazine and all our Members Only content. Your membership also directly funds independent journalism and is greatly appreciated!

RELATED