Trump's EPA Pick Has Repeatedly Sued The EPA For Protecting the Environment

This amounts to a declaration of war against the biosphere.
Scott Pruitt.jpg

While president elect Trump has been busy sending the media into a tailspin over his incessant tweeting, behind the scenes he continues to amass a team of incompetent lobbyists, extremists and racists to run the White House in 2017.

Latest in this ongoing horror show is the addition of Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to serve as the head of the Environmental Protection Agency. Reported the Huffington Post:

Pruitt has been a vocal critic of EPA regulations and defender of fossil fuel interests. Lawyers for Devon Energy, one of his state’s biggest oil and gas companies, authored a letter Pruitt sent to the EPA criticizing estimates on emissions from natural gas drilling sites, The New York Times reported in 2014.

The Times published 84 pages of correspondence between Pruitt and Devon, which it described as evidence of an “unprecedented, secretive alliance that Mr. Pruitt and other Republican attorneys general have formed with some of the nation’s top energy producers to push back against the Obama regulatory agenda.”

According to the New York Times, Pruitt has in fact been the "key architect of the legal battle against Mr. Obama’s climate change policies", and has repeatedly sued the agency to roll back regulation safeguarding public health and preventing climate change.

Trump recently met with Al Gore to discuss climate change, and provided a glimmer of hope that he would take the most pressing issue facing mankind seriously, the appointment of Pruitt should make clear that he doesn't care one bit about incinerating the planet. To put an opponent of the Environmental Protection Agency in charge of the Environmental Protection Agency is a declaration of war against our environment and should be treated as such.

At this point there should be no need to repeat the enormous challenge we face as a species -- we should be taking every action necessary to stop the planet warming to temperatures hostile to human life. Instead, in 2016 we have an incoming government in the most powerful nation on the planet dedicated to accelerating the warming of the planet in the name of corporate profits.

With the appointment of Pruitt, it is now too late for us to work with the Trump administration on this issue. Mass, coordinate global action is needed to halt climate change, and if Trump and his administration want to oppose it, they must be fought at every turn.

Please help support The Daily Banter in our efforts to remain independent. Your help is now more needed than ever. Go here to find out about purchasing a membership

RELATED