Trump Is Officially An Illegitimate President-Elect And The Democrats Have To Destroy Him

Republicans invented scorched earth obstructionism. The Democrats must perfect it if America is to survive as a democracy.
Republicans invented scorched earth obstructionism. The Democrats must perfect it if America is to survive as a democracy.
trump neck.png

The time for debate is over. Donald Trump's "win" is not legitimate by any definition and every position he fills, law he signs or executive order he pens must be considered an illegal power grab by the Republican Party.

Last night, The Washington Post dropped a bombshell: The CIA has confirmed Russia's influence on the election and that they were working o put Trump into office. At the same time, we found out that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell quashed the release of this extremely pertinent information before the election:

“It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia’s goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. “That’s the consensus view.”

According to several officials, McConnell raised doubts about the underlying intelligence and made clear to the administration that he would consider any effort by the White House to challenge the Russians publicly an act of partisan politics.

"An act of partisan politics." Completely coincidentally, McConnell's wife Elaine Chao was nominated for a Trump Cabinet position. Remember when the appearance of quid pro quo was enough for the "liberal" press to condemn Hillary Clinton? Surely, they will hold Republicans to the same standard any day now.

While we wait, this rank corruption and collusion cannot be tolerated if our system of governance is to continue to mean something. Republicans spent 8 years undermining President Obama's legitimacy because he was the wrong color. In doing so, they severely damaged the integrity of our democracy. Now, ironically, Democrats must do the exact same thing in order to preserve it.

Where Republicans used innuendo and dog whistles to smear Obama, Democrats must boldly and unflinchingly state that Trump needed Russia to manipulate the election on his behalf and the Republicans not only knew about it, they condoned it. They must repeat, on a daily basis, that Trump lost the popular vote by almost 3 million votes and has no mandate to do anything but occupy the office until he's kicked out for using the presidency to enrich himself.

Democrats in every state at every level have to hammer home the reality that Trump and the Republicans have aligned themselves with one of our most dangerous geopolitical enemies for the sake of holding onto unearned power. They have to repeat, ad nauseum, that Trump himself is so compromised by his connections to Putin and international banks that he will violate the Constitution the second he is sworn in.

Finally, the Democratic Party must oppose everything Trump and the Republicans attempt and they have to do so at the top of their lungs. Not just procedural filibusters but actually get up on the floor and talk for hours about how Trump's presidency is an illegal atrocity. Anything less is announcing that our democracy isn't worth a sack of rancid pig shit.

Legitimizing the slow moving coup Republicans are on the verge of pulling off means the end of the American Experiment. We allowed our election to be stolen by a foreign power and the greedy Republicans enabled it with no thought to the cost. The Democratic Party is all that stands between the world and a super power now turned rogue nation. If they can't fight back, we're facing a new Dark Ages we may not recover from.

RELATED ARTICLES