Fox News Had To Beg Trump Campaign To Stop Inciting Death Threats Against Megyn Kelly

In their eagerness to demonize the Fox News host, Trump's campaign willingly put her life in danger.
Updated on
trumpfox

In response to Megyn Kelly's tough questioning of Donald Trump's misogyny, the Trump campaign waged a nasty war against the Fox News host. It was apparently so bad that a Fox executive had to go to extreme lengths to try to convince the Trump campaign that they were actually putting Kelly's life in danger.

Kelly sat down with Anderson Cooper this week and told him what it was like to be on the receiving end of Trump's hate:

“Trump kept trying to make it about me and the story was about him and Hillary Clinton but in the early days him and the other Republicans," she told Cooper. "I write in the book they felt like a human being who had been dropped into a shark tank and there were passersby looking in and slightly horrified at what was going on. And all I wanted to do last year was get myself out of the shark tank.”

Kelly says in another part of her book, "Settle for More," that she found it to be an easy ethical decision to reject Trump's offer of "girl's nights" at his Mar a Lago estate or free airfare in return for favorable coverage. However, according to Kelly, her refusal to coordinate her coverage of him with his people and the refusal of his gifts, along with her choice to ask hard questions, put her in very real danger. She also claims Trump's own insiders seemed to be egging it all on.

When Fox Executive Vice President Bill Shine tried to get Michael Cohen, a Trump lawyer and surrogate, to stop inciting Trump's followers, his nonchalant and cavalier response drove Shine to blast the lawyer, "If Megyn Kelly gets killed it is not going help your candidate!" This is the same Michael Cohen who had just retweeted, "Let's gut [Megyn Kelly]":

“Michael Cohen, who is Trump's top lawyer and executive vice president with the Trump Organization had retweeted ‘let’s gut her,’ about me,” Kelly said. “At a time when the threat level was very high, which he knew. And Bill Shine, an executive vice president of Fox, called him up to say, 'You got to stop this. We understand you are angry but she's got three kids and is walking around New York.'”

Megyn Kelly has done many things that the left felt were reprehensible and racist, but that is no excuse for what happened to her. Hopefully, the Fox personality remembers that her job is to still question power and stand up to Trump's promised attack on freedom of the press. If she gives in to her fear, she'll only making it easier for Trump and his fledgling Brown Shirts to bully the press into a complicit silence.

RELATED