Andrew Sullivan: "America Has Now Jumped off a Constitutional Cliff"

This is now Trump’s America.
banter olbermann dictator trump.jpg

I'm fairly exhausted today and won't be doing much writing, but Andrew Sullivan's response to the election of Donald Trump is an absolute must read. It is truly frightening, but a necessary prognosis of the dire situation we now find ourselves in:

America has now jumped off a constitutional cliff. It will never be the same country again. Like Brexit, this changes the core nature of this country permanently.

This is now Trump’s America. He controls everything from here on forward. He has won this campaign in such a decisive fashion that he owes no one anything. He has destroyed the GOP and remade it in his image. He has humiliated the elites and the elite media. He has embarrassed every pollster and naysayer. He has avenged Obama. And in the coming weeks, Trump will not likely be content to bask in vindication. He will seek unforgiving revenge on those who dared to oppose him. The party apparatus will be remade in his image. The House and Senate will fail to resist anything he proposes — and those who speak up will be primaried into oblivion. The Supreme Court may well be shifted to the far right for more than a generation to come — with this massive victory, he can pick a new Supreme Court justice who will make Antonin Scalia seem like a milquetoast. He will have a docile, fawning Congress for at least four years. We will not have an administration so much as a court.

It would be easy to feel completely defeated by this, but we have to understand exactly what we are facing here. There is no time to wallow in self pity, and no time for recriminations. We need to cure this sickness once and for all, and to do that, we must act.

RELATED ARTICLES