MEMBERS ONLY: The California Resistance

"So, yeah, like the members of my state's government, I'm proud to call California home. Turns out it has a fighting spirit nobody could've expected. And the country is going to need as much of that as it can get for the next four years."
photo credit: Thomas Hawk

photo credit: Thomas Hawk

In August of 2001, I abandoned Los Angeles. I had no choice but to give up the city and everything in it because the place was literally killing me. I'd moved there a year earlier with my new wife because she'd accepted a job with NBC Newschannel -- NBC's affiliate feed service -- but as our marriage already seemed to be falling apart I found myself turning more and more to drugs for comfort. That's of course putting it mildly: The truth was that I had developed a heroin habit that was taking somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 a day out of my pocket. So, I left.

To continue reading this article, please go here. Your membership is now more important than ever, so please consider supporting us and becoming part of our community.

RELATED