Trump Chooses Senior Member Of Hate Group As His Top Domestic Policy Adviser

Trump proves that he has no interest in uniting the country.
Updated on
Donald Trump.jpg

It has been a few days since Donald Trump sailed to victory thanks to the outdated Electoral College and the cries for unity are getting louder. Political activists and leaders on both sides of the aisle are asking that liberals swallow their fears and support the new president-elect. Unfortunately, Donald Trump continues to give them reasons not to, and one of the most shining examples of this is the man he chose to be his top domestic policy adviser: Ken Blackwell.

On Thursday, the American people were given a glimpse into Trump's transition team and learned that Blackwell will play a key role. The former Ohio secretary of state is a well-known bigot who once ran for governor in the state but lost the race by 34 points in 2006. In addition to his failed gubernatorial bid, Blackwell is also a senior fellow with the Family Research Council (FRC), which has been named a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center because of their extreme homophobia.

Blackwell, for his part, is right at home at the FRC as he too is an outspoken adversary of the LGBT community. During his gubernatorial bid a decade ago Blackwell informed Ohio voters that he believes homosexuality can be cured:

“I think homosexuality is a lifestyle, it’s a choice, and that lifestyle can be changed,” Blackwell said in response to the question “Is homosexuality a sin, and can gays be cured?” according to published transcripts. “I think it is a transgression against God’s law, God’s will.” He continued: “The reality is, again…that I think we make choices all the time. And I think you make good choices and bad choices in terms of lifestyle. Our expectation is that one’s genetic makeup might make one more inclined to be an arsonist or might make one more inclined to be a kleptomaniac. Do I think that they can be changed? Yes.”

In 2004, while serving as Ohio's secretary of state, Blackwell spewed similar homophobic rhetoric while comparing gay people to farm animals:

Blackwell said it’s time for people of God to take a stand. He even drew a comparison between same-sex couples and farm animals. “I don’t know how many of you have a farming background but I can tell you right now that notion even defies barnyard logic … the barnyard knows better,” said Blackwell referring to the idea of same-sex marriage.

According to The Columbus Dispatch, Blackwell is now in charge of Trump's "action team" and he'll have a key role government. He is reportedly being tasked with examining the departments of health and human services, transportation, energy, environmental protection, labor, housing and urban development, interior and agriculture.

Blackwell's appointment to Trump's team unequivocally proves that the president-elect has no interest in uniting this country. If anything, he is bringing his culture of hate right into what is arguably the most powerful office in the world and that is why liberals will continue to speak out against him.

RELATED