Harry Reid Releases Scathing Statement About "Sexual Predator" Trump's Win

"The election of Donald Trump has emboldened the forces of hate and bigotry in America."
Updated:
Original:
harry-reid-hands-up

Retiring Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid will not serve under Trump when he takes office in January, but that doesn't mean he is going to leave office without telling America exactly what he thinks about the Republican. In a scathing press release on Friday, Reid ripped Trump to shreds.

The Nevada senator started off by saying that he has participated in 26 elections and he has never seen the kind of reaction he has to Donald Trump's win."The election of Donald Trump has emboldened the forces of hate and bigotry in America," he said. “White nationalists, Vladimir Putin and ISIS are celebrating Donald Trump’s victory, while innocent, law-abiding Americans are wracked with fear – especially African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Muslim Americans, LGBT Americans and Asian Americans. Watching white nationalists celebrate while innocent Americans cry tears of fear does not feel like America."

Senator Reid went on to explain that they have a reason to be afraid:

"Their fear is entirely rational, because Donald Trump has talked openly about doing terrible things to them. Every news piece that breathlessly obsesses over inauguration preparations compounds their fear by normalizing a man who has threatened to tear families apart, who has bragged about sexually assaulting women and who has directed crowds of thousands to intimidate reporters and assault African Americans. Their fear is legitimate and we must refuse to let it fall through the cracks between the fluff pieces."

In the days since the election we have heard multiple stories from fearful Americans who do not know where to go from here. And they have a right to be afraid because sadly, in the wake of Trump's win, many of his deplorable supporters have carried out disgusting acts of hate and bigotry

While President Obama, Hillary Clinton and many others have said that we need to come together as a nation, Senator Reid explained that if that is to happen then Trump must take responsibility for the hate he unleashed:

“If this is going to be a time of healing, we must first put the responsibility for healing where it belongs: at the feet of Donald Trump, a sexual predator who lost the popular vote and fueled his campaign with bigotry and hate. Winning the electoral college does not absolve Trump of the grave sins he committed against millions of Americans. Donald Trump may not possess the capacity to assuage those fears, but he owes it to this nation to try. If Trump wants to roll back the tide of hate he unleashed, he has a tremendous amount of work to do and he must begin immediately.”

 It's hard to imagine that Donald Trump is actually going to try to heal this nation. After all, who is going to take him seriously? He spent the entirety of his campaign scapegoating everyone who wasn't a vapid member of his disgusting base and while that may have propelled him into the White House, many Americans will never stand behind him. How could they?

Hispanic children heard him call their parents "criminals" and "rapists." African-American kids listened as he said their communities were a disaster. Little girls saw video clips of their new president bragging that he sexually assaults women like their moms, aunts and sisters.

With this kind of unrepentant hate infecting our government from the top down, calling out Trump is not just the right thing to do, it's vital if we want to save our country from succumbing to its worst instincts.

RELATED