Screw the Polar Bears

By Ben Cohen

George Monbiot thinks there are more important things to worry about:

Can we please stop talking about the bloody polar bears?

Climate change

is not - or not only - about polar bears. It is not - or not only -

about the Arctic, or the Amazon, or the oceans. It is not - or not only

- about the future. This is about everything and everyone. It's about

every ecosystem on earth. It's about everyone who lives there. It's

about people like us, who love their children and value their own lives

as much as we do. We don't need totemic animals or a deep green

spiritual awakening. We just need to act on what we know.