G20 Did Not Address Environment

By Ben Cohen

George Monbiot sums up the ethos of the G20:

"We, the Leaders of the Group of Twenty, will use every cent we

don't possess to rescue corporate capitalism from its contradictions

and set the world economy back onto the path of unsustainable growth.

We have already spent trillions of dollars of your money on bailing out

the banks, so that they can be returned to their proper functions of

fleecing the poor and wrecking the Earth's living systems. Now we're

going to spend another $1.1 trillion. As an exemplary punishment for

their long record of promoting crises, we will give the IMF and the

World Bank even more of your money. These actions constitute the

greatest mobilisation of resources to support global financial flows in

modern times.

Oh - and we nearly forgot. We must do something
about the environment. We don't have any definite plans as yet, but
we'll think of something in due course."