Lucky to have Obama

Robert Scheer explains why he feels his vote for Obama was justified:

The one truly memorable, historically

significant line [in Obama's speech to Congress] —unfortunately desperately needed because of the

shameful actions of his predecessor—was: “… I can stand here tonight

and say without exception or equivocation that the United States does

not torture.”

That simple declarative sentence justifies
my vote for the man, no matter my disagreements with him. It is
recognition of the essential vitality of a free society as defined by
our Founders through the protections they wrote into the Constitution
and which George W. Bush so casually demolished. As Obama put it, “…
[L]iving our values doesn’t make us weaker, it makes us safer and it
makes us stronger.”