Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

The Quiet Storm Rumbles

People will come.

'I know he is going to win,' James said after services at Leonard Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis. 'See, God answers prayers, and I am a praying man, and I know he is going to win.'

The 'he' James is referring to is Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama. 'From where I came from, with the segregation and all the hatred, I never thought an African-American would get this far in the United States. Really.'

But three weeks until Election Day, James and many other African-Americans are now optimistic they will be part of history.

'I am kind of anticipating it will happen,' said Raymond Henderson, a soft-spoken African-American man in his 60s. 'But no, I did not expect it to happen in my lifetime.'

RELATED