Yes, The President of the United States Just Endorsed an Alleged Pedophile

Rather than call for Roy Moore to quit the Senate race in Alabama, Trump has explicitly told voters in Alabama not to vote for his opponent and has refused to condemn him.
By Ben Cohen,

Had alleged pedophile and sexual abuser Roy Moore been a Democrat and Barack Obama the President of the United States, Moore would have been condemned and told in no uncertain terms to pull out of the Alabama Senate race. But Roy Moor is a Republican and Donald Trump, who is a sexual predator himself, is the president. Rather than call for Moore to quit the race, Trump has explicitly told voters in Alabama not to vote for his opponent and has refused to condemn him.

“Roy Moore denies it. That’s all I can say,” Trump told reporters today.

“I can tell you, you don’t need somebody who’s soft on crime, like Jones,” he went on, explicitly telling Republicans not to vote for Doug Jones, Moore’s Democratic challenger.

“He says it didn’t happen, and you know, you have to listen to him also,” the president said. “40 years is a long time.”

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, the President of the Goddamn United States of America is in no uncertain terms endorsing a man accused of sexually assaulting multiple women, propositioning underage girls and molesting a 14 year old. Just let that sink in for a moment.

There now appears be no limits to how awful Trump's presidency can be, and there are few words to convey how grotesquely appalling this has become. To repeat, the President of the United States is completely fine with having a fucking pedophile in the US Senate because, well, he's not a Democrat.

Some have accused the liberal media of engaging in outrage journalism over the past year. Matt Taibbi for example, penned a lengthy essay last week condemning journalists and media figures for doing "the easiest and most obvious thing ever," in relentlessly attacking and opposing Trump:

It's stupid. Not because Trump isn't awful, because he is, but because opposing Trump and what he stands for is the easiest and most obvious thing ever.

Is there any intellectual defect worse than obviousness? How about predictability? If you want a million-ton dose of either, turn on MSNBC sometime. It's a goddamned Sahara desert of obviousness. A Himalayan range of predictable messaging. And smart people watch it.

Jesus, what for? When was the last time you were challenged or presented with a surprising idea there?

Maybe Taibbi is right. Maybe getting angry doesn't help or do anything to get Trump out of office. But then what the fuck else are decent people supposed to do? Say "Hey, we shouldn't get angry about the President of the United States endorsing a pedophile, we should focus on being positive!"?

I say to hell with that. This is a moral disgrace and an affront to civil society, and every person who doesn't want a man accused of sexually assaulting children in the US Senate must stand up and stop this insanity.

Join the Conversation