In A Sad Attempt To Defend Milo, The Right Is Once Again Calling Lena Dunham A Pedophile

This latest bit of deflection by the right proves just how pathetic they really are.
By Shannon Argueta,

On Monday evening, publishing company Simon & Schuster canceled Milo Yiannopoulos' book "Dangerous" after a tape surfaced of comments he'd made that unambiguously advocated sexual relationships between men and boys. The white nationalists of the alt-right, unable to admit that their guy is a creep, were outraged by the announcement and immediately looked for a liberal to drag through the mud--they chose actress Lena Dunham.

All across Twitter were comments from conservatives who claimed it was unfair that Milo's book was canceled when Dunham's 2014 book “Not That Kind of Girl,” was published. According to the angry conservatives, liberals aren't allowed to condemn Milo because Dunham spoke at the Democratic National Convention even though she "admitted" to "molesting" her sister. Here's a sample of their outrage:

The "molestation" the Milo fans are referring to stems from a 2014 controversy over this passage in Dunham's book:

“Do we all have uteruses?” I asked my mother when I was seven.

“Yes,” she told me. “We’re born with them, and with all our eggs, but they start out very small. And they aren’t ready to make babies until we’re older.” I look at my sister, now a slim, tough one-year-old, and at her tiny belly. I imagined her eggs inside her, like the sack of spider eggs in Charlotte’s Webb, and her uterus, the size of a thimble.

“Does her vagina look like mine?”

“I guess so,” my mother said. “Just smaller.”

One day, as I sat in our driveway in Long Island playing with blocks and buckets, my curiosity got the best of me. Grace was sitting up, babbling and smiling, and I leaned down between her legs and carefully spread open her vagina. She didn’t resist and when I saw what was inside I shrieked.

My mother came running. “Mama, Mama! Grace has something in there!”

My mother didn’t bother asking why I had opened Grace’s vagina. This was within the spectrum of things I did. She just on her knees and looked for herself. It quickly became apparent that Grace had stuffed six or seven pebbles in there. My mother removed them patiently while Grace cackled, thrilled that her prank had been a success.

At the time, National Review columnist Kevin D. Williamson and the right-wing website Truth Revolt decided the passage of the book meant Dunham was a pedophile who had admitted to sexually molesting her sister. To make it extra scandalous, Truth Revolt initially reported that Dunham was 17 years old when the incident occurred even though her book clearly stated she was 7. Now, three years later, the right is once again dredging this non-scandal up in order to excuse away the vile actions of Milo, because of course they are.

Let's be clear though, Lena Dunham did not sexually assault her sister. She was a seven year old kid who was curious about anatomy. Her mother had told her that girls had eggs inside of them and Dunham wanted to see if that was true. This is normal behavior. She was a child, not an adult or a teenager and that is a critical difference. Had Dunham been 17 when she looked at her sister's vagina like Truth Revolt originally reported than yeah, it would be an issue but 7? Absolutely not. Meanwhile, Yiannopoulos was explicitly advocating that boys as young as 13 should be allowed to have relationships with older men. And contrary to claims that the comments were taken out of context, here's the five minute video giving you all the context you could possibly need:

This latest bit of deflection just proves that the right is incapable of owning anything. They have made a racist bigoted loudmouth blogger their poster boy for "free speech" and by golly they are not going to let him go no matter what he says or does. It's the same thing they have done with President Trump who is an admitted sexual predator and to be frank, it's unbelievably pathetic.

Join the Conversation