Joan Walsh has compiled a laundry list of the unbelievably despicable behavior Newt Gingrich has engaged in over the years:
- Shutting down the government in 1995 at least partly because President Clinton allegedly snubbed him by seating him in the rear of Air Force One on a flight home from Yitzhak Rabin’s funeral. No, really, he told reporters the “snub” was “part of why you ended up with us sending down a tougher continuing resolution.”
- Advocating that the children of welfare recipients be taken away from their parents and raised in orphanages.
- Leading the drive to impeach Clinton over lying about adultery when he was himself lying about adultery, cheating on his wife with a staffer, Callista Bisek, who became his third wife.
- Insisting President Obama suffers from “a Kenyan anti-colonial mindset” like his Kenyan father, even though he barely knew his Kenyan father.
- Denouncing Paul Ryan’s radical budget (that was actually smart) as “right-wing social engineering,” then flip-flopping and warning that “any ad which quotes what I said Sunday is a falsehood.”
- Railing against Obama’s alleged “class warfare” when he’s run up a $500,000 tab at Tiffany’s.
Amazingly, Gingrich is now in a position where he actually has a shot at winning the Republican primary, not through any virtue of his own mind you, but virtue of the shocking crowd he's up against. Gingrich has billed himself as the thinking candidate, which might actually be appropriate given he's probably the only one capable of it.
It's an indictment of the modern GOP that Gingrich is even deemed a viable candidate – a party so tired and uninspired that is has to dig up dinosaurs like Newt to inject 'ideas' into the debate.
The problem is he's so flawed as a character that his meanness is actually palpable. Gingrich unfortunately looks like a douchebag – an unforgivable trait in the modern media era, and the reason he will never get elected President.