Uncategorized

Listening Post

By January 27, 2014

I love Elbow.

I love songs that pay tribute to the insane and wonderful grandeur of New York City.

Here’s the first single from Elbow’s forthcoming record, The Takeoff and Landing of Everything.

This is New York Morning.

Return of the Thing

By January 27, 2014
Thumbnail for 62569

Since this little experiment of mine first went live back in May of 2006, it’s never been dark for longer than a couple of days. That was, of course, until last November — when we kind of shut things down here and vanished into thin air (or at least into the endless work of writing for the Daily Banter).

But I always promised that I wouldn’t completely abandon DXM and I intend to keep that promise. And so, beginning today, there will be daily content here again. Sometimes it’ll be nothing much more important than a song and music video or two; sometimes it’ll be a link to something else I’m writing somewhere else; sometimes it’ll be a piece that’s exclusive to here, something too personal or just not right for the Banter. But it will be something.

The lights are finally coming back on a little. It’s good to be home.

The Daily Banter Mail Bag: The GOP’s State of the Union Sidekicks, the Dinesh D’Souza Indictment and Our Nightmare Dates

By January 24, 2014
mail_bag_glenn_close

1. Did you see that Louie Gohmert is inviting Hannity to sit with him at the State of the Union address? What is it with Texas congressman and their SOTU guests? Steve Stockman brought Ted Nugent and now this.
— Steve C

Ralph Lauren Creates Worst Olympic Uniforms Of All Time Because America

By January 23, 2014
19dfmzy935bupjpg

The uniforms for the Olympics Opening Ceremony have been unveiled and they’re just so us.

Respecting The Dead: Community Teaches Us How To Say Goodbye

By January 22, 2014
Screen-Shot-2014-01-17-at-7.51.29-AM

Of course Dan Harmon found a way to make the best Pierce-centric episode one that Chevy Chase is absent from…

Piloting A Repilot: Reviewing the Return of NBC’s Community

By January 17, 2014
community-madmen-spoof

NBC’s Community rose from the near-dead with its long-awaited season premiere, and a small but cult-like fanbase held its breath.

The Myth of the Good Guy with a Gun: How I was Almost Curtis Reeves

By January 17, 2014
Arapahoe-high-school-shooter-is-stopped-by-armed-security-official

I’d been driving with my pistol for a couple of months when my Curtis Reeves moment almost happened… Let’s rewind.

A Pros and Cons List to Decide Whether We Actually Need Florida

By January 16, 2014
florida_sign

  As you all probably know, last week, a 71-year-old ex-cop shot and killed a man inside a Tampa movie theater for texting during the trailers. Apparently he will be using the infamous “Stand Your Ground” statute in his defense, reminding us all that Florida is bizarro world where logic has died and idiocy runs… Read More

Another Reason Why We’re All Screwed: Rush Limbaugh Among Top 10 Most Admired

By January 15, 2014
rush-limbaugh

The Times of London conducted a poll of the top ten most admired people in the world. Americans decided Rush Limbaugh should make our list. Because of course we did.

WATCH: Robert Downey Jr. Crushes The Police’s “Driven To Tears”. Did You Know He Could Sing Too?

By January 14, 2014
o-ROBERT-DOWNEY-JR-facebook

Iron Man himself knocks a cover of “Drive To Tears” out of the park as part of Sting’s 60th birthday celebration.

MORNING BANTER: Supreme Court Skeptics, Google Thermostats, Koch Brothers, and Japanese Jim Beam

By January 14, 2014

  The Onion is reporting that it’s still only Tuesday. Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:   1. Supreme Court Justices Skeptical About Obama Labor Board Appointments A majority of U.S. Supreme Court justices signaled willingness on Monday to rule against the administration of President Barack Obama over his attempt to appoint members of the… Read More

Beyonce Wrote An Essay On Feminism and It’s About As Thought-Provoking As “Independent Women”

By January 13, 2014
BEYONCE-for-GQ

Beyoncé Knowles-Carter wrote what some are calling an essay on feminism for Maria Shriver’s underrated The Shriver Report newsletter with the breaking-news headline “Gender Equality Is A Myth!”

Scary Chart Reveals Koch Brother’s Insidious Influence in American Politics

By January 13, 2014
koch_brothers

Last week, The Washington Post posted a pretty scary graphic that showed all the organizations that are directly or indirectly funded by a network set up by the Legion of Doom, also known as the Koch brothers.

THE MORNING BANTER: The Golden Globes, A New Christie Theory, Roger Ailes Still Sucks, and the New “Game of Thrones” Season

By January 13, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 8.30.22 PM

It’s Monday and so it’s back to the grind with you, gerbils. Here’s a couple of headlines and some assorted stuff from around the internet to get you through the day.

Test Post

By January 10, 2014

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry’s standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into… Read More

Spoiler Alert: I’m Terrified For The Comments On This One

By January 10, 2014
angry-mob

If you go almost anywhere else on the web, comment sections are the place where intelligent, respectful debates go to die at the hands of trolls, bigots, and general assholes. However, somehow, The Daily Banter’s readership has decided to rise above this misanthropy-inducing phenomenon.

And that’s a beautiful thing that must be protected.

Robert Gates Confirms Obama’s Real Middle East Motivations: Getting the Hell Out

By January 09, 2014
gates obama

While people may think that Robert Gates ‘exposed’ the President on his true motivations towards Afghanistan, he has in fact shown the President to have an accurate understanding of just how disastrous US intervention in the Middle East has been.

Token Crazy Person Ann Coulter Calls Melissa Harris-Perry ‘Token African American’

By January 08, 2014
Ann_Coulter_at_book_signing

Given Coulter’s entire career has been built off the fact that she is completely crazy, her scathing attack on Harris-Perry ranks up there with the best examples of right wing hypocrisy in recent memory.