Uncategorized

Listening Post

By February 12, 2014

Whether he’s fronting Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon or simply working under his own name, Mark Kozelek makes some of the most beautiful and moving — and sometimes darkly powerful — acoustic music around.

His new album as Sun Kil Moon hit iTunes yesterday and it’s his most personal release yet, with each song dealing not in universal themes but in very laser-point specific words about his life and feelings.

For most singer-songwriters this would feel terribly self-indulgent, but Kozelek makes it work because the entire record feels like a personal Psalm.

Here’s the lovely I Can’t Live Without My Mother’s Love.

Listening Post

By February 11, 2014

This song’s actually a year old but these guys are playing at the El Rey here in L.A. tonight with St. Lucia and I’m trying to convince myself to go, so why not post it here, right? That’ll have some kind of impact on my decision, I’m sure.

Here’s Sir Sly — Gold.

Translating Andrea Peyser’s Hateful Column on Philip Seymour Hoffman

By February 10, 2014
Andrea Peyser

Andrea Peyser, the New York Post’s resident hate monger, penned a lengthy diatribe against recently deceased Philip Seymour Hoffman yesterday, because Goddammit, he’s been dead long enough for her to piss all over his grave with her political agenda!

The Right Is Going To Elect President Hillary Clinton

By February 10, 2014
hillary-clinton-cellphone

If Hillary Clinton takes the presidential oath of office on January 20, 2017, her victory will be partially thanks to voters, volunteers, donors and… the right wing. The very concept of Hillary Clinton running for the presidency, let alone winning it, seems to have the same effect on the right as waving a red flag… Read More

UpBuzzViralWorthFeed: This Fake Australian Stay In School Ad Is Blowing Up On The Web

By February 07, 2014
102238-0fb5e014-8964-11e3-9956-927a0b0ae164

Usually we tell you what kind of amazing viral video you’re about to watch to get your eyeballs salivating, but this one is something special.

Quote of the Day: This Is Why People Don’t Take Feminists Seriously

By February 06, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 2.21.47 PM

Feminists at Wellesley college have started a petition to have a sculpture of a sleepwalking man in his underwear removed from the campus quad. The hysterical comments are as entertaining as you’d expect.

Pay to Play

By February 06, 2014

Social media queen Geek Girl Diva has been a big supporter of this site for a long time, which is why when she needs help I’m always there.

She’s started an Indiegogo drive aimed at recording a song, and you too should help out. Why? Because she’s awesome, that’s why.

Indiegogo: Help GGD Record Her Song

Listening Post

By February 06, 2014

Been completely quiet the past few days mostly because I’ve been putting in insane hours, but that’ll still happen from time to time.

The new Dum Dum Girls record is terrific, and this song in particular — the first single from it — sounds like so much of the post-punk I grew up with.

Here’s Rimbaud Eyes.

Analyzing The DMX/Zimmerman Fight

By February 05, 2014
dmx-zimmerman

Back when George Zimmerman first announced he would be doing a celebrity boxing match and DMX offered up his services on behalf of “every black person who has been done wrong in the system,” we were left salivating at the totally unrealistic hypothetical scenario of DMX stepping into a boxing ring with George Zimmerman.

But holy hell, it looks like this might actually happen.

A Question for Mia Farrow: If You Hate Child Abusers, Why Are You Still Friends With Roman Polanski?

By February 04, 2014
Mia Farrow

Mia Farrow regards child rapist Roman Polanski as ‘a close friend’. Is the treatment of Polanski inconsistent with that of her former partner Woody Allen? If so, does it undermine her credibility?

The Top 6 Congressmen Bill Maher Is Most Likely To Attack

By February 04, 2014
bill-maher-makes-huge-campaign-donation-to-president-obama

Last week, Bill Maher told the New York Times that his show will attempt to oust a sitting member of Congress. Moreover, he will ask his viewers to help him select the congressperson that is both terrible enough and in a competitive enough race to get the bullseye put on their back.

Quote of the Day: Cameron Crowe Remembers Philip Seymour Hoffman

By February 04, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 9.13.20 AM

For all he did in his long, rarefied career, I think that one scene is Philip Seymour Hoffman’s finest moment.

Listening Post

By February 03, 2014

Disclosure released on of the best albums of last year with Settle. Now they’ve released one of the singles from it remixed with Mary J. Blige on vocals, and the result is just cool and sexy as hell.

Here’s the new version of F for You.

Interesting Facts About Last Night’s Super Bowl Game That You Didn’t Know

By February 03, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 10.25.56 AM

Last night, most of the civilized world watched the Seattle Seahawks crush the Denver Broncos 43-8 to win the 47th Superbowl, which took place in the cultural mecca of East Rutherford, New Jersey. This is almost guaranteed to be exclusively what coworkers, polite acquaintances, and neighbors you catch the elevator with will bring up today. Be prepared.

Philip Seymour Hoffman: 1967-2014

By February 02, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 1.30.55 PM

This morning, Hoffman was found dead in his Greenwich Village apartment with a needle still in his arm and five empty heroin bags next to his body, with three more still full and available for use. This honestly made me cry the first time I read it. I used to do heroin — a lot of it. It’s fucking shit and it steals your soul, destroying you piece by piece by piece.

Ted Cruz Follows Twitter User With Profile Pic of Obama Being Lynched

By January 31, 2014
ted_cruz_lynching

It appears that the senator follows a Twitter user whose profile pic (also called an “avi”) shows President Obama with a noose around his neck, presumably dead. Not only that but both of Cruz’s Twitter accounts follow this user.

Listening Post

By January 31, 2014
Thumbnail for 62561

Cesca and I probably spent a good ten minutes on the podcast yesterday enthusing about HBO’s True Detective and I’m going to do it here for a few seconds as well. Bottom line: If you’re not watching the show, you’re legitimately missing out on one of the best television experiences of the last decade. When Breaking Bad folded I really did think its near-perfection as a satisfying show would, for me, tarnish everything that came in its wake for quite a while. It’s tough to hold up any TV drama to a show like Breaking Bad, even unconsciously, simply because Breaking Bad was such a damn masterpiece.

But True Detective goes beyond the realm of great television into something much more artistically minded. You don’t just watch it, you feel it in your bones; it’s a layered, beautifully acted, utterly menacing, pitch black piece of American gothic, and each hour is mesmerizing from start to finish. We’re only a few episodes in so it’s easy to catch up if you need to but, trust me, you need to.

Here’s the opening credits music that sets the tone for the entire show.

It’s the Handsome Family’s Far From Any Road.

THIS JUST IN: Daft Punk Are Not Actually Robots

By January 31, 2014
140130-daft-punk-without-helmets

TMZ, the pinnacle of world-class journalism, has broken what looks to be the story of the century: Grammy Award-winning musicians Daft Punk are not, in fact, robots.