Uncategorized

Yes, Mr. Kenobi, ‘Sand People’ Is Racist

By March 31, 2014
helloworld

In between overly-elaborate Star Wars references, Tommy Christopher will be bringing insightful Washington, DC reporting, engaging policy analysis, and provocative commentary for The Daily Banter. Here is Tommy’s first post on his new home.

WATCH: Mika Brzezinski Berates Joe Scarborough About Flight 370; Is Awesome

By March 26, 2014
joe-mika

MSNBC’s Morning Joe, like every other ‘news’ program, is squeezing out all it can from the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

But Mika Brzezinski seems to have had it.

L’Wren Scott Did Not Commit Suicide, She Was Killed by Affluenza

By March 25, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 12.54.28 PM

While it is obvious L’Wren Scott was responsible for taking her own life, there is another culprit at large that isn’t so easy to define, but is ultimately responsible for killing her long before her time.

A Question for Mr. Charles Pierce

By March 20, 2014
charles-pierce

Esquire writer Charles Pierce believes voter apathy will mean crazy Republicans will get into office. So why does he unequivocally support Glenn Greenwald’s attempts to destroy the Democrats?

The GOP Tries and Fails to Pander to Hipster Millennials

By March 20, 2014
image

With Pajamas Boy memes still circulating in the GOP zeitgeist, the Republican Party just stepped into the same pitch, pandering to Millennials with a “we’re sooo with the kids” viral video of a doughy, unshaven Millennial wearing hipster glasses and, yes, a leather biker jacket. Evidently, this is a real guy named “Scott Greenberg.”

Millennial Alert: Former Obama Fan Girl Turns Ron Paul Devotee

By March 19, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 4.37.25 PM

Carey Wedler, a 20 – something resident of Los Angeles was once Obama’s biggest fan. But because Obama didn’t resolve the issues she cares passionately about, Wedler has moved on and wants the world to know it.

The Slow-Motion Suicide of Broadcast Radio

By March 19, 2014
image

While radio offers nothing particularly exclusive to its format, the internet has a virtual lock on everything worth listening to: every variety of music under the Sun and a nearly limitless menu of podcasts hosted by the funniest and most interesting talkers in the history of recorded entertainment.

This Is What It’s Like To Fly Like Superman

By March 18, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 12.29.05 PM

Up, up, and away.

Moronic Racists’ Appalling Reaction to Black Actress Starring in “Annie” Remake

By March 14, 2014
Celebrity Sightings In New York City - December 2, 2013

Black Annie critics compare this travesty to a white actor playing Martin Luther King Jr. or Anne Frank in a biopic and one likened it to seeing Roots with an all-white cast.

BREAKING: Two Buildings Collapse After Massive Explosion in Harlem

By March 12, 2014
Bih9eQ2IEAAwB31

According to CNN’s Stephanie Gallman, Con Edison, which provided natural gas service in Manhattan, was called to the block to investigate a gas leak moments before the explosion.

Listening Post

By March 11, 2014

)

Sorry, folks, it’s been a really rough couple of weeks so I know I’ve slacked off from my usual amount of slacking off.

Here’s some new stuff from Blood Red Shoes, which are one of what feels like the few relatively new alt-rock bands making music these days. Yes, I seem to lament that kind of thing more and more as I get older and listen to what KROQ plays nonstop these days.

Here’s The Perfect Mess

Kim Jong Un Wins In A Landslide

By March 11, 2014
Truman

It came down to the wire, with an entire country anxiously holding its breath in wonder, but it’s official: Kim Jong Un has been elected to the Supreme Assembly in the constituency of Mount Paektu in a political blowout of his non-existent competition.

NBC’s Community Bears Down For Midterms

By March 07, 2014
bear-down-for-midterms

“Welcome to the labyrinth, kid–only there ain’t no puppets or bisexual rock stars down here.” – Buzz Hickey

This New Technology Will Allow People To Read 1,000 Words Per Minute, But Can We Be Trusted With That Power?

By March 06, 2014
books

“Real reading didn’t understand time restrictions, it wasn’t something done in haste so that a to-do box could be checked. It was meant to be done deliberately and patiently.”

THE MORNING BANTER: RT Journalist Resignations, Crazy Plans For Russia, Senate Blocks, and Debunked Hoverboards

By March 06, 2014
huvr

Happy Thursday. We’re only a few stiff drinks and haphazardly written emails away from Friday! Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

Media Piles on Abby Martin, Our Role in It, and My Apology

By March 05, 2014
Abby Martin, Russia Today presenter

The entire internet is raining fire on Abby Martin right now. Not because she stood up to her employer, RT, but because she was ‘outed’ as a former member of the 9/11 truth movement in her early 20s. Was this fair, or a smear job? One thing is clear, we were part of it.

How Badly Did the Oscars Screw Idina Menzel?

By March 03, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 10.25.59 AM

Travolta’s gaffe may not be the only way the Oscars screwed Menzel last night. I hate to speculate, but I’m going to anyway because it’s impossible to imagine that what happened on TV last night was the plan from the start.

This Depressing New Gender Pay Gap Infographic Will Depress You

By February 28, 2014
MjAxMi1lY2ZjMTlkYzFiY2VkNjZk

This infographic on the US gender pay gap might be one of the most effective state-by-state breakdowns when it comes to illustrating the salary discrepancies between men and women in America. And it’s kind of a downer.