Uncategorized

The Most Important Thing Liberals Need To Know About How To Change The World

By October 23, 2013

Over the last couple of days I had an Excel chart I generated go somewhat viral. It’s been retweeted over 900 times and it got written up in The Huffington Post and in the UK Guardian. Also, Wil Wheaton retweeted it. So I’ve got some serious geek credits built up. But I want to address… Read More

The Morning Banter: The Monster the Koch Brothers Created (and Can’t Control), A Standing Ovation Deserved + More

By October 10, 2013
teapartykoch.banner.reuters

Thirsty Thursday is upon us! Here’s some more poison for you to slug down with your morning coffee: In a case of Frankenstein (where the monster ultimately leads to the demise of the creator), the Koch Brothers are having great difficulty reining in their Right-Wing Tea Party Monster.  Further proof that karma, is in fact,… Read More

The Morning Banter: Everything You Need To Know About the Debt Ceiling + More

By October 09, 2013
TUMULTY_DEBT_CEILING

It’s Wednesday and unless you’re furloughed out of the office, you’re probably looking for a real good excuse to put off that TPS report right about now.  Well here it is… everything you need to know and everything you should be talking about. The Washington Post has made it exponentially easier for you to bullshit… Read More

I Am Serious, and Don't Call Me Surly

By October 08, 2013

I can’t say that I’ve ever been the subject of an open letter, but a reader was kind enough to not only school me on history in the hope of making the point that maybe all is not lost for America, but to then send me a link to his work.

I’m the first to admit that it’s really unfortunate that I’ve been feeling this way lately about our politics and our culture, but maybe it’s true that I’m only able to see it all through the prism of my own experience or through the events of my lifetime.

Either way, the lesson is appreciated.

The Gloomy Historian: An Open Letter To Mr. Pazienza/10.8.13

By the way, am I really finally at that place where I need to be referred to as “Mr. Pazienza?”

Jesus.

WATCH: BBC Newsnight’s Contentious Interview with Glenn Greenwald

By October 04, 2013

Bring the Noise

By October 01, 2013

If I sneeze twice in the same day, I assume I’m getting sick and should probably stay in bed with the covers pulled up over me and a fresh-squeezed orange juice IV drip. Because I’m a wuss.

While Michael Chobot was battling acute myeloid leukemia last year, a disease which essentially kept him at death’s door most of the time, he accepted a gig editing and mixing the sound for a PBS documentary, worked day in and day out on it, and eventually not only completed the thing but wound up being nominated for an Emmy for his work.

Tonight in New York City, PBS’s An Original DUCKumentary will go up against four other news-documentary projects in the category of Outstanding Music and Sound and Michael Chobot’s name will be announced alongside some of the best sound technicians in the business. I guarantee that it would’ve been the first of many awards to come for Mike throughout what was sure to be a long and distinguished career in television and film.

Mike was brilliant at what he did. Flat-out brilliant. He brought a kind of wide-eyed excitement, contagious passion, and twisted sense-of-humor to being a producer and engineer that I have to imagine made him a joy to work with, and of course he had talent to burn. He wasn’t just going to be successful, he was going to be a star — and he was going to have an absolute blast doing it.

If it hadn’t been for the fact that he came up against one challenge that was simply too unyielding, one competitor that was too ferocious for him to overcome, he would’ve been up on a stage collecting Emmys and very likely Oscars for the rest of his life. I’ve never been more convinced of anything.

Michael’s family will be there tonight in New York City to hear his name called among the nominees and potentially even as a winner. They’ll be there to personally witness his professional legacy and to revel in the honor and, yes, glory bestowed upon him by his peers. While I’m sure it’ll hurt like hell to know that he’s gone and can’t be there himself to enjoy the recognition for his immense talents, I have no doubt that they’ll do what I’m doing 3,000 miles away: celebrating. Celebrating Mike’s moment. What was sure to be the first of many.

Good luck tonight, Mikey. I love you and miss you.

Sound Hunter: The Extended Interview from Greg Harriott on Vimeo.

The Only Video You Need To See To Understand Obamacare

By September 30, 2013
Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 5.48.13 PM

A very neat little video from the The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation explaining Obamacare and how it will effect you. Probably the best explanation you’ll see

The Death of Cool

By September 26, 2013
images

It used to be easy to be cool (or at least fake it). It usually implied just adhering to a counter-culture mindset and taste, whether that be through fashion, music, art, etc and disavowing that which the general popular enjoyed. However, by its very definition, counter-culture needs a culture to be counter to

The Morning Banter: Google May Be Wrecking Our Memory, Drug Eradicates HIV, Saint Stephen Colbert + More

By September 26, 2013
stephen-colbert_original

It’s Thursday! Only two more days slaving away for the man and then you’re home free!  Perhaps kill some of that time with some of this insightful, funny, and even a little bit cheeky internet noise: You know how you reach for your phone to Google the answer to a question that’s plaguing your mind/conversation?… Read More

The Talking Ted

By September 25, 2013

The Morning Banter: Black Hole Explosions, Worst State for Women, NRA Tries To Discredit Member + More

By September 25, 2013
Supermassive-Black-Hole-Explosion-at-the-Galactic-Center

Your daily dose of laughs, contradictions and cannot miss news stories is here.  Let’s get started! The NRA recently urged it’s membership against participating in a guns study released this week that shows a majority of gun sellers want tougher background checks for gun buyers.  The kicker? The study was being conducted by one of their Members! That… Read More

USA vs. Brasil

By September 24, 2013

The Iranian Olive Branch

By September 24, 2013
iran_nuke_talks_280

As New York prepares for the annual opening of the United Nations General Assembly, the volume of Western media speculation about the prospects for a U.S.-Iranian diplomatic breakthrough has mounted to impressive levels. Predictably, much of this speculation amounted to little more than wondering how many concessions the Islamic Republic’s new president, Hassan Rouhani, is willing and will be able to make, especially on the nuclear issue.

Breaking: House passes GOP 3-month spending plan that defunds Obamacare

By September 20, 2013
obamacare_leaflet_reuters

Just moments ago, the US House of Representatives voted to pass a spending bill to keep the government open until December 15th by a vote of 230-189. The bill defunds Obamacare. Well, good luck trying to get that passed in the Senate.  The Washington Post reports: The House passed a short-term spending plan Friday morning that… Read More

The Morning Banter: Nuclear Disaster On The Horizon, Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck, Netflix Pirates Too

By September 18, 2013
badgernucleartest630

It’s Wednesday and considering I just finished reading Gravity’s Rainbow (for what was the fourth try — did you hear Pynchon’s got a new book out too?!), this first story we’ve got for you today is incredibly fitting.  Here goes: Winning the Most-Ridiculous-Headline-That-Couldn’t-Possibly-Be-True-But-Oh-F*ck-It-Is award this week, Mother Jones has a piece on how an accidental nuclear bomb… Read More

Floyd Mayweather vs Saul “Canelo” Alvarez And The Increasingly Mad World of “Money May” UPDATE: Mayweather Decisions Alvarez

By September 13, 2013
mayweather

On Saturday night, the world’s highest paid athlete Floyd Mayweather will take on Mexico’s Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in a fight for the Junior Middleweight championship of the world. Mayweather’s increasingly bizarre lifestyle is becoming a hot topic of conversation: Will his detachment from reality have any bearing on the fight this weekend?

The Morning Banter: Hail Taylor Swift!, Dennis Rodman may be the best Secretary of State we’ve ever had + More

By September 04, 2013
Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 10.32.36 AM

It’s Wednesday and the second day after a holiday weekend.  Let’s face it, you’re in for a long day.  Cut some time off that clock and let’s get down to business, funny business that is: Dennis Rodman is over in North Korea, hanging out (but not being a diplomat!) with his best buddy Kim Jon… Read More

Write On

By September 03, 2013

August was a really slow month around here — no doubt about it. I can blame being overworked and spending the rest of my time with my daughter, who’s now back in Dallas, but it’s just as easy to go ahead and blame what’s traditionally a slow news month. So, what’s September going to look like? Well, I’m not sure how much better it’s going to get.

Here’s the thing: My schedule is changing in a way I haven’t experienced since beginning this little experiment of mine more than seven years ago. When I first started, all I wanted to do was write for a living; that’s actually one of the main reasons why I started DXM. As it turns out, that dream has now come true to some extent: I’m getting paid to write for the Daily Banter. It’s a tough gig because, as I’ve related here a couple of times, I crank out so much copy so quickly during the week that it often leaves me wondering whether I believe half of what I write anymore and stressing over the quality of the milk this cow is constantly giving. But I’m still being paid to write and I still, I hope, write stuff that people think is worth reading.

The impact it’s had on this site can’t really be overstated, but now that impact is going to get even more pronounced because big changes are coming to Banter in the form of a more powerful and interactive Gawker-like site, so says Banter overlord Ben Cohen. And he’s drafted me to contribute more material for it, which means that I’ll be writing for the Daily Banter in just about a full-time capacity. This doesn’t mean that I’m shuttering DXM because this is still my internet home and you know how seriously I take it and how protective I am of it. I’ll need this place to air the thoughts that just won’t fly over at Banter or anywhere else, the personal things that I can only say in my own house. But yes, content around here may suffer until I figure out how to balance everything I’m doing. I’ll probably set up links to my Banter nonsense here as well as cranking out a piece here and there that’s exclusive to DXM, but right now I just don’t know how it’s all going to play out.

What I’m not going to do is hand the site over the someone else. God bless Cesca for having Ashby to basically run his own site for him but that’s just not my thing. If I’m not here, nobody’s gonna be here in my place.

Anyway, just a tiny update from the management. I’m not disappearing or anything, just making yet another transition. A good one this time.