Uncategorized

Commenter of the Week 2: Q&A With Cathy McMorris Rodgers

By January 30, 2014
How-To-Facebook-Like-Your-Google-Search

More proof that Banter readers are the smartest peeps on the interwebs.

Listening Post

By January 29, 2014
Thumbnail for 62563

I have no idea what to make of this — and I’m betting that’s the most generous thing you’re going to hear about it from anyone who considers him or herself a fan of Elliott Smith.

Apparently, long before Smith died 11 years ago, he recorded some isolated vocal tracks for a possible collaboration with Soul Coughing’s Mike Doughty. Some of what he sang would eventually go on to become Bottle Up and Explode — one of my absolute favorite Smith songs — and Going Nowhere. Doughty says that the vocals were always meant to be cut up, experimented with, and ultimately transformed into dance tracks and that Smith was okay with this.

Whether he’d be fine with what Doughty has now created, though, is anyone’s guess. Doughty says he recently found the vocal tracks on a cassette tape and he turned them into what he’s calling honest-to-God EDM — a genre title that didn’t exist back when Smith was alive. It’s fascinating to hear anything new and even kind of original from Elliott Smith, but given that he was so protective of his material and his legacy — and this is a very far cry from the sound we’ve come to expect from him — it feels a big sacrilegious.

Decide for yourself, though.

Take a listen to The Record, Dogs and Burn (Aah Fuck).

An Open Letter to the GOP: A Call for Armistice in the War on Women

By January 29, 2014
stop-sign

If the GOP doesn’t quit right now they’re gonna end up crashing on their libertarian bro’s couch on election night 2016.

New Machine Allows For Men And Women To Effectively Switch Bodies With One Another

By January 28, 2014
freaky_friday

In 1996, the alternative rock band The Butthole Surfers released a song called, “Pepper,” which presented one very important universal truth: “You never know just how you look through other people’s eyes”

But that might not be entirely true anymore…

What Have We Learned Today?

By January 28, 2014
Thumbnail for 62565

I’m going to try to put these up at the end of the day rather than the beginning as a way to link to everything I’ve written at Banter over the last 24 hours.

Alas, I had a hell of a panicked night project-wise yesterday — that’s to top off my normal 15-hour work day — so this shows up here a little late.

Hope you check this stuff out, though. I can always use the readership.

The Daily Banter: The Hillary Clinton Camp Stupidly Antagonizes Buzzfeed/1.27.14

The Daily Banter: Maybe It Really Is Time To Ignore Fox News/1.27.14

Listening Post

By January 28, 2014

Broken Bells is the side project of Danger Mouse and the Shins’ James Mercer. I liked their first album but admit that it wasn’t a favorite or anything. But it made enough of a splash that they can get Anton Yelchin and Kate Mara to show up in the video for the first single from their new record.

This song has a really nice late-70s soft rock vibe to it, with just enough electro-funk to keep things interesting.

Here’s Holding on for Life.

Listening Post

By January 27, 2014

I love Elbow.

I love songs that pay tribute to the insane and wonderful grandeur of New York City.

Here’s the first single from Elbow’s forthcoming record, The Takeoff and Landing of Everything.

This is New York Morning.

Return of the Thing

By January 27, 2014
Thumbnail for 62569

Since this little experiment of mine first went live back in May of 2006, it’s never been dark for longer than a couple of days. That was, of course, until last November — when we kind of shut things down here and vanished into thin air (or at least into the endless work of writing for the Daily Banter).

But I always promised that I wouldn’t completely abandon DXM and I intend to keep that promise. And so, beginning today, there will be daily content here again. Sometimes it’ll be nothing much more important than a song and music video or two; sometimes it’ll be a link to something else I’m writing somewhere else; sometimes it’ll be a piece that’s exclusive to here, something too personal or just not right for the Banter. But it will be something.

The lights are finally coming back on a little. It’s good to be home.

The Daily Banter Mail Bag: The GOP’s State of the Union Sidekicks, the Dinesh D’Souza Indictment and Our Nightmare Dates

By January 24, 2014
mail_bag_glenn_close

1. Did you see that Louie Gohmert is inviting Hannity to sit with him at the State of the Union address? What is it with Texas congressman and their SOTU guests? Steve Stockman brought Ted Nugent and now this.
– Steve C

Ralph Lauren Creates Worst Olympic Uniforms Of All Time Because America

By January 23, 2014
19dfmzy935bupjpg

The uniforms for the Olympics Opening Ceremony have been unveiled and they’re just so us.

Respecting The Dead: Community Teaches Us How To Say Goodbye

By January 22, 2014
Screen-Shot-2014-01-17-at-7.51.29-AM

Of course Dan Harmon found a way to make the best Pierce-centric episode one that Chevy Chase is absent from…

Piloting A Repilot: Reviewing the Return of NBC’s Community

By January 17, 2014
community-madmen-spoof

NBC’s Community rose from the near-dead with its long-awaited season premiere, and a small but cult-like fanbase held its breath.

The Myth of the Good Guy with a Gun: How I was Almost Curtis Reeves

By January 17, 2014
Arapahoe-high-school-shooter-is-stopped-by-armed-security-official

I’d been driving with my pistol for a couple of months when my Curtis Reeves moment almost happened… Let’s rewind.

A Pros and Cons List to Decide Whether We Actually Need Florida

By January 16, 2014
florida_sign

  As you all probably know, last week, a 71-year-old ex-cop shot and killed a man inside a Tampa movie theater for texting during the trailers. Apparently he will be using the infamous “Stand Your Ground” statute in his defense, reminding us all that Florida is bizarro world where logic has died and idiocy runs… Read More

Another Reason Why We’re All Screwed: Rush Limbaugh Among Top 10 Most Admired

By January 15, 2014
rush-limbaugh

The Times of London conducted a poll of the top ten most admired people in the world. Americans decided Rush Limbaugh should make our list. Because of course we did.

WATCH: Robert Downey Jr. Crushes The Police’s “Driven To Tears”. Did You Know He Could Sing Too?

By January 14, 2014
o-ROBERT-DOWNEY-JR-facebook

Iron Man himself knocks a cover of “Drive To Tears” out of the park as part of Sting’s 60th birthday celebration.

MORNING BANTER: Supreme Court Skeptics, Google Thermostats, Koch Brothers, and Japanese Jim Beam

By January 14, 2014

  The Onion is reporting that it’s still only Tuesday. Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:   1. Supreme Court Justices Skeptical About Obama Labor Board Appointments A majority of U.S. Supreme Court justices signaled willingness on Monday to rule against the administration of President Barack Obama over his attempt to appoint members of the… Read More

Beyonce Wrote An Essay On Feminism and It’s About As Thought-Provoking As “Independent Women”

By January 13, 2014
BEYONCE-for-GQ

Beyoncé Knowles-Carter wrote what some are calling an essay on feminism for Maria Shriver’s underrated The Shriver Report newsletter with the breaking-news headline “Gender Equality Is A Myth!”