Uncategorized

Listening Post

By March 11, 2014

)

Sorry, folks, it’s been a really rough couple of weeks so I know I’ve slacked off from my usual amount of slacking off.

Here’s some new stuff from Blood Red Shoes, which are one of what feels like the few relatively new alt-rock bands making music these days. Yes, I seem to lament that kind of thing more and more as I get older and listen to what KROQ plays nonstop these days.

Here’s The Perfect Mess

Kim Jong Un Wins In A Landslide

By March 11, 2014
Truman

It came down to the wire, with an entire country anxiously holding its breath in wonder, but it’s official: Kim Jong Un has been elected to the Supreme Assembly in the constituency of Mount Paektu in a political blowout of his non-existent competition.

NBC’s Community Bears Down For Midterms

By March 07, 2014
bear-down-for-midterms

“Welcome to the labyrinth, kid–only there ain’t no puppets or bisexual rock stars down here.” – Buzz Hickey

This New Technology Will Allow People To Read 1,000 Words Per Minute, But Can We Be Trusted With That Power?

By March 06, 2014
books

“Real reading didn’t understand time restrictions, it wasn’t something done in haste so that a to-do box could be checked. It was meant to be done deliberately and patiently.”

THE MORNING BANTER: RT Journalist Resignations, Crazy Plans For Russia, Senate Blocks, and Debunked Hoverboards

By March 06, 2014
huvr

Happy Thursday. We’re only a few stiff drinks and haphazardly written emails away from Friday! Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

Media Piles on Abby Martin, Our Role in It, and My Apology

By March 05, 2014
Abby Martin, Russia Today presenter

The entire internet is raining fire on Abby Martin right now. Not because she stood up to her employer, RT, but because she was ‘outed’ as a former member of the 9/11 truth movement in her early 20s. Was this fair, or a smear job? One thing is clear, we were part of it.

How Badly Did the Oscars Screw Idina Menzel?

By March 03, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 10.25.59 AM

Travolta’s gaffe may not be the only way the Oscars screwed Menzel last night. I hate to speculate, but I’m going to anyway because it’s impossible to imagine that what happened on TV last night was the plan from the start.

This Depressing New Gender Pay Gap Infographic Will Depress You

By February 28, 2014
MjAxMi1lY2ZjMTlkYzFiY2VkNjZk

This infographic on the US gender pay gap might be one of the most effective state-by-state breakdowns when it comes to illustrating the salary discrepancies between men and women in America. And it’s kind of a downer.

Listening Post

By February 26, 2014

These guys are a slightly heavier Paramore and this song is an absolutely blast.

Here’s We Are the In Crowd — The Best Thing (That Never Happened).

“You Have No Idea What’s Coming”: The Full “Godzilla” Trailer Arrives

By February 25, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 12.02.52 PM

Our first glimpse of Godzilla was thrillingly eerie and menacing, and now we’re getting an even better look at the destruction science fiction’s greatest monster will be bringing to the big screen this summer.

The Crazy Right is Growing, So How Do We Stop it?

By February 25, 2014
Glenn Beck

The numbers show that more people are tuning into Glenn Beck’s site than ever. What does this mean for America, and how can it be stopped?

Listening Post

By February 25, 2014

Manchester Orchestra are back with an upcoming record, Cope. Frontman Andy Hull says it’s going to be a quick, straightforward rock album, as opposed to the glorious, passionate and sprawling mosaic that was 2011’s Simple Math.

Here’s the first single from the new record. This is Top Notch.

THE MORNING BANTER: Syrian Cyberattacks, Arizona Gays, F*cking Google, and Harold Ramis

By February 25, 2014
ghostbusters-image

Happy Tuesday. We’ve got a long way to go. Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

Listening Post

By February 22, 2014

More a hymn than a song, this is a current favorite.

Here’s Half Moon Run — Unofferable.

How Tony Blair’s Advice to Rebekah Brooks Over Phone Hacking Scandal Suggests He Lied About Iraq War

By February 19, 2014
brooks-blair-hacki_1947185i

The news that former British Prime Minister Tony Blair apparently ‘unofficially’ advised the disgraced News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks over the phone hacking scandal in the UK back in July of 2011 is creating waves in the British press. But the details in the revelation betrays something far darker about Blair, who survived scandal after scandal while in power through his considerable powers of persuasion.

The Daily Banter “Dos and Don’ts” Guide to Google Glass

By February 19, 2014
google glass

The internet is buzzing with the recently published Google’s ‘How To’ manual on Glass, it’s fancy eyewear product that allows you see the world wide web on your lenses. They aren’t being entirely honest with their customers about how not to come across as a douche. So in the interests of the public, if you are an ‘Explorer’, here’s our ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ guide on how to wear (or not wear) Google’s latest gizmo.

WATCH: A Second City Chris Farley Channels Matt Foley Living Down By The River Years Before SNL

By February 19, 2014
SNL_0813_04_Motivational_Speaker

A video posted on Second City’s YouTube page yesterday shows a young Farley screaming about government cheese and vans down by the river in a sketch with Bob Odenkirk, Jill Talley, and Tim Meadows.

Listening Post

By February 19, 2014

I was rightly scolded by a couple of people for missing this yesterday. Truth is a new song from the Afghan Whigs couldn’t have come at a better time. I need it right now.

Here’s the band’s first new single in 16 years.

This is Algiers.