Uncategorized

Listening Post

By February 26, 2014

These guys are a slightly heavier Paramore and this song is an absolutely blast.

Here’s We Are the In Crowd — The Best Thing (That Never Happened).

“You Have No Idea What’s Coming”: The Full “Godzilla” Trailer Arrives

By February 25, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 12.02.52 PM

Our first glimpse of Godzilla was thrillingly eerie and menacing, and now we’re getting an even better look at the destruction science fiction’s greatest monster will be bringing to the big screen this summer.

The Crazy Right is Growing, So How Do We Stop it?

By February 25, 2014
Glenn Beck

The numbers show that more people are tuning into Glenn Beck’s site than ever. What does this mean for America, and how can it be stopped?

Listening Post

By February 25, 2014

Manchester Orchestra are back with an upcoming record, Cope. Frontman Andy Hull says it’s going to be a quick, straightforward rock album, as opposed to the glorious, passionate and sprawling mosaic that was 2011’s Simple Math.

Here’s the first single from the new record. This is Top Notch.

THE MORNING BANTER: Syrian Cyberattacks, Arizona Gays, F*cking Google, and Harold Ramis

By February 25, 2014
ghostbusters-image

Happy Tuesday. We’ve got a long way to go. Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

Listening Post

By February 22, 2014

More a hymn than a song, this is a current favorite.

Here’s Half Moon Run — Unofferable.

How Tony Blair’s Advice to Rebekah Brooks Over Phone Hacking Scandal Suggests He Lied About Iraq War

By February 19, 2014
brooks-blair-hacki_1947185i

The news that former British Prime Minister Tony Blair apparently ‘unofficially’ advised the disgraced News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks over the phone hacking scandal in the UK back in July of 2011 is creating waves in the British press. But the details in the revelation betrays something far darker about Blair, who survived scandal after scandal while in power through his considerable powers of persuasion.

The Daily Banter “Dos and Don’ts” Guide to Google Glass

By February 19, 2014
google glass

The internet is buzzing with the recently published Google’s ‘How To’ manual on Glass, it’s fancy eyewear product that allows you see the world wide web on your lenses. They aren’t being entirely honest with their customers about how not to come across as a douche. So in the interests of the public, if you are an ‘Explorer’, here’s our ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ guide on how to wear (or not wear) Google’s latest gizmo.

WATCH: A Second City Chris Farley Channels Matt Foley Living Down By The River Years Before SNL

By February 19, 2014
SNL_0813_04_Motivational_Speaker

A video posted on Second City’s YouTube page yesterday shows a young Farley screaming about government cheese and vans down by the river in a sketch with Bob Odenkirk, Jill Talley, and Tim Meadows.

Listening Post

By February 19, 2014

I was rightly scolded by a couple of people for missing this yesterday. Truth is a new song from the Afghan Whigs couldn’t have come at a better time. I need it right now.

Here’s the band’s first new single in 16 years.

This is Algiers.

If Trolls Are Actually Mentally Ill People, What Do We Do About It?

By February 18, 2014
notamonster

Why is that offline we understand the need to reach out and help those that are mentally ill, but online we not only ignore those that exhibit disturbing behavior, but leave them to their own devices and occasionally make fun of them?

Listening Post

By February 18, 2014

After all this time, I do still love this song.

Here’s Keane’s A Bad Dream.

Surprisingly Unrepugnant News About the Westboro Baptist Church

By February 17, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 1.00.22 PM

The Westboro Baptist Church is dying because Americans are finding better ways to block their protests, and the church itself is rotting from the inside.

THE MORNING BANTER: The Weather Is a Weapon, Flappy Bird Lives, Cruising with Paula Deen, and God Loves Irony

By February 17, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 7.02.05 PM

It’s Monday, but it’s also a holiday, so hopefully you’ve got the day off. Regardless, here are a few internet tidbits to leave you informed and less bored this morning.

How Religion Can Make You a Sex Addict

By February 14, 2014
religious-websites-05-02-2012

Is sex addiction real, or is it a myth perpetuated by people and organizations with a religious agenda?

Listening Post

By February 13, 2014

German DJ/Producer Zedd’s collaboration with Matthew Koma back in 2012 turned out to be one of the best songs of that year. I still can’t stop listening to Spectrum.

Now they’re back, adding vocalist Miriam Bryant into the mix. The result isn’t as good as Spectrum but it’s still a hell of an enjoyable pop-EDM track.

Here’s Find You.

Listening Post

By February 12, 2014

Whether he’s fronting Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon or simply working under his own name, Mark Kozelek makes some of the most beautiful and moving — and sometimes darkly powerful — acoustic music around.

His new album as Sun Kil Moon hit iTunes yesterday and it’s his most personal release yet, with each song dealing not in universal themes but in very laser-point specific words about his life and feelings.

For most singer-songwriters this would feel terribly self-indulgent, but Kozelek makes it work because the entire record feels like a personal Psalm.

Here’s the lovely I Can’t Live Without My Mother’s Love.

Listening Post

By February 11, 2014

This song’s actually a year old but these guys are playing at the El Rey here in L.A. tonight with St. Lucia and I’m trying to convince myself to go, so why not post it here, right? That’ll have some kind of impact on my decision, I’m sure.

Here’s Sir Sly — Gold.