Uncategorized

The Daily Banter “Dos and Don’ts” Guide to Google Glass

By February 19, 2014
google glass

The internet is buzzing with the recently published Google’s ‘How To’ manual on Glass, it’s fancy eyewear product that allows you see the world wide web on your lenses. They aren’t being entirely honest with their customers about how not to come across as a douche. So in the interests of the public, if you are an ‘Explorer’, here’s our ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ guide on how to wear (or not wear) Google’s latest gizmo.

WATCH: A Second City Chris Farley Channels Matt Foley Living Down By The River Years Before SNL

By February 19, 2014
SNL_0813_04_Motivational_Speaker

A video posted on Second City’s YouTube page yesterday shows a young Farley screaming about government cheese and vans down by the river in a sketch with Bob Odenkirk, Jill Talley, and Tim Meadows.

Listening Post

By February 19, 2014

I was rightly scolded by a couple of people for missing this yesterday. Truth is a new song from the Afghan Whigs couldn’t have come at a better time. I need it right now.

Here’s the band’s first new single in 16 years.

This is Algiers.

If Trolls Are Actually Mentally Ill People, What Do We Do About It?

By February 18, 2014
notamonster

Why is that offline we understand the need to reach out and help those that are mentally ill, but online we not only ignore those that exhibit disturbing behavior, but leave them to their own devices and occasionally make fun of them?

Listening Post

By February 18, 2014

After all this time, I do still love this song.

Here’s Keane’s A Bad Dream.

Surprisingly Unrepugnant News About the Westboro Baptist Church

By February 17, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 1.00.22 PM

The Westboro Baptist Church is dying because Americans are finding better ways to block their protests, and the church itself is rotting from the inside.

THE MORNING BANTER: The Weather Is a Weapon, Flappy Bird Lives, Cruising with Paula Deen, and God Loves Irony

By February 17, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 7.02.05 PM

It’s Monday, but it’s also a holiday, so hopefully you’ve got the day off. Regardless, here are a few internet tidbits to leave you informed and less bored this morning.

How Religion Can Make You a Sex Addict

By February 14, 2014
religious-websites-05-02-2012

Is sex addiction real, or is it a myth perpetuated by people and organizations with a religious agenda?

Listening Post

By February 13, 2014

German DJ/Producer Zedd’s collaboration with Matthew Koma back in 2012 turned out to be one of the best songs of that year. I still can’t stop listening to Spectrum.

Now they’re back, adding vocalist Miriam Bryant into the mix. The result isn’t as good as Spectrum but it’s still a hell of an enjoyable pop-EDM track.

Here’s Find You.

Listening Post

By February 12, 2014

Whether he’s fronting Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon or simply working under his own name, Mark Kozelek makes some of the most beautiful and moving — and sometimes darkly powerful — acoustic music around.

His new album as Sun Kil Moon hit iTunes yesterday and it’s his most personal release yet, with each song dealing not in universal themes but in very laser-point specific words about his life and feelings.

For most singer-songwriters this would feel terribly self-indulgent, but Kozelek makes it work because the entire record feels like a personal Psalm.

Here’s the lovely I Can’t Live Without My Mother’s Love.

Listening Post

By February 11, 2014

This song’s actually a year old but these guys are playing at the El Rey here in L.A. tonight with St. Lucia and I’m trying to convince myself to go, so why not post it here, right? That’ll have some kind of impact on my decision, I’m sure.

Here’s Sir Sly — Gold.

Translating Andrea Peyser’s Hateful Column on Philip Seymour Hoffman

By February 10, 2014
Andrea Peyser

Andrea Peyser, the New York Post’s resident hate monger, penned a lengthy diatribe against recently deceased Philip Seymour Hoffman yesterday, because Goddammit, he’s been dead long enough for her to piss all over his grave with her political agenda!

The Right Is Going To Elect President Hillary Clinton

By February 10, 2014
hillary-clinton-cellphone

If Hillary Clinton takes the presidential oath of office on January 20, 2017, her victory will be partially thanks to voters, volunteers, donors and… the right wing. The very concept of Hillary Clinton running for the presidency, let alone winning it, seems to have the same effect on the right as waving a red flag… Read More

UpBuzzViralWorthFeed: This Fake Australian Stay In School Ad Is Blowing Up On The Web

By February 07, 2014
102238-0fb5e014-8964-11e3-9956-927a0b0ae164

Usually we tell you what kind of amazing viral video you’re about to watch to get your eyeballs salivating, but this one is something special.

Quote of the Day: This Is Why People Don’t Take Feminists Seriously

By February 06, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 2.21.47 PM

Feminists at Wellesley college have started a petition to have a sculpture of a sleepwalking man in his underwear removed from the campus quad. The hysterical comments are as entertaining as you’d expect.

Pay to Play

By February 06, 2014

Social media queen Geek Girl Diva has been a big supporter of this site for a long time, which is why when she needs help I’m always there.

She’s started an Indiegogo drive aimed at recording a song, and you too should help out. Why? Because she’s awesome, that’s why.

Indiegogo: Help GGD Record Her Song

Listening Post

By February 06, 2014

Been completely quiet the past few days mostly because I’ve been putting in insane hours, but that’ll still happen from time to time.

The new Dum Dum Girls record is terrific, and this song in particular — the first single from it — sounds like so much of the post-punk I grew up with.

Here’s Rimbaud Eyes.

Analyzing The DMX/Zimmerman Fight

By February 05, 2014
dmx-zimmerman

Back when George Zimmerman first announced he would be doing a celebrity boxing match and DMX offered up his services on behalf of “every black person who has been done wrong in the system,” we were left salivating at the totally unrealistic hypothetical scenario of DMX stepping into a boxing ring with George Zimmerman.

But holy hell, it looks like this might actually happen.