Uncategorized

Time to Leave Carrie Prejean Alone

By November 13, 2009

I try to make it a point not to blog about celebrities as I think their dominance in modern culture is immensely damaging to people, particularly young teenagers. Beauty Pageants like 'Miss America' perpetuate the myth of physical perfection and objectify women as commodities rather than human beings. Parading around a stage in a bikini… Read More

Lou Dobbs: The Onion’s take

By November 12, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg From The Onion via Andrew Sullivan: "Acting on anonymous tips from within the Hispanic-American community, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials on Wednesday deported Luis Miguel Salvador Aguila Dominguez, who for the last 48 years had been living illegally in the United States under the name Lou Dobbs… "Mr. Dominguez did not… Read More

Next Generation of Protestors to Arrive in Copenhagen

By November 12, 2009

Naomi Klein profiles the next generation of protesters who will descend on Copenhagen: There is certainly a Seattle quality to the Copenhagen mobilisation: the range of groups that will be there; the diverse tactics that will be on display; and the developing-country governments ready to bring activist demands into the summit. But Copenhagen is not… Read More

Obama on Afghanistan War: Will He or Won’t He?

By November 12, 2009

Bob Cesca mulls Obama's upcoming decision on whether to escalate the war in Afghanistan: I hasten to emphasize that we don't know exactly what's going on in these meetings, but it's clear that the notion of escalating in Afghanistan isn't making sense to the president. And it shouldn't. He has as much, if not more,… Read More

Can We Agree?

By November 12, 2009

by David Glenn Cox Can we agree that Franklin Roosevelt was a liberal Democrat? Can we agree the Harry Truman was a liberal Democrat? Roosevelt first dreamed of a single payer national healthcare scheme that would run concurrently with Social Security. In 1948 Harry Truman brought a single payer, government-run health care plan to Congress…. Read More

Defining Marriage

By November 12, 2009

The fantastic Dan Savage lays out the overwhelmingly moral case for Gay marriage:

A quick note on Gordon Brown

By November 11, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg I never thought I'd find myself defending him, but the crap the UK Prime Minister has been receiving for some errors in a hand written condolence note is pretty out of bounds.  There are many things for which it is legitimate to criticize any politician, and many more for Mr. Brown.  But… Read More

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Lou

By November 11, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg Update: Sorry folks, Ben and I double posted on this one.  But really I think this is worth it.  I really can't stand that man. Lou Dobbs is quitting CNN, effective immediately!  Tonight's show will be his last.  That's a fantastic step in the right direction for CNN, and the MSM in… Read More

Thank God – Lou Dobss Quits CNN

By November 11, 2009

And about time too (via the Huff Post): All bets are on for Dobbs going to Fox – it’s not if, but when.

David Cameron Wants ‘Fairer Britain’

By November 11, 2009

If there's one thing Tory leader David Cameron is good at, it's catching the public mood. In a recent speech at the Hugo Young lecture at the Guardian, Cameron spelled out his vision of a 'fairer Britain'. Distancing himself from laissez faire capitalism, Cameron also blamed overreaching government for breaking down social cohesion and responsibility… Read More

Glenn Greenwald Smashes David Brooks Again

By November 11, 2009

Glenn Greenwald really is turning attacking NY Times columnist David Brooks into a sport. In his latest demolition job, Greenwald takes Brooks to task for his column in the Times that claims 'there is a unique evil that one finds in the "fringes of the Muslim world"'. Brooks writes: This narrative causes its adherents to… Read More

Debunking ‘Super Freakonomics’

By November 11, 2009

Elisabeth Kolbert of the New Yorker takes apart Levitt and Dubner's claim that climate change would be 'easy' to solve (the economist and journalist believe that shooting sulfur into the atmosphere via a 18 mile hose would do the trick): Neither Levitt, an economist, nor Dubner, a journalist, has any training in climate science—or, for… Read More

Nidal Hasan Urged Military to Excuse Muslim Soldiers

By November 10, 2009

The Washington Post gives a fascinating insight into the mind of Fort Hood killer Nidal Hasan who delivered a speech to Army medical staff on the need for Muslims to be able to leave the military as 'conscientious objectors': In late June 2007, he stood before his supervisors and about 25 other mental health staff… Read More

The Men Who Stare at Votes

By November 10, 2009

Jon Stewart really should run for office one day: The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c

Why We all Need to Boycott Fox

By November 10, 2009

Rupert Murdoch calls Barack Obama a racist, providing ample reason to boycott the mans entire business empire:

Mainstream Pundits Turning Against Israel

By November 10, 2009

A strange thing seems to be happening amongst elite pundits. They are slowly but surely throwing in the towel on Israel after realizing that the psychopathic Netanyahu clearly has no intention of brokering a deal with the Palestinians. Illegal Settlement activity has not stopped, more houses are on the way in east Jerusalem, and the… Read More

British People Want a Fairer Society

By November 09, 2009

Carrying on from earlier today, it appears that prominent politicians are set to debate growing wealth inequality in Britain. From the Guardian: A fierce debate within the government on how to tackle entrenched wealth inequality – possibly through a high pay commission or a tax on assets – is to be ignited by a report… Read More

Sarah Palin Not Writing Facebook Updates

By November 09, 2009

Blue Texan on FireDogLake makes a hilarious point about Sarah Palin's facebook updates: that they cannot have been written by her. How do we know this? Easy – just compare her normal rambling nonsense with the eloquent prose posted on the social networking site: The latest update from the ‘Cuda begins: Twenty years ago, the… Read More