Uncategorized

Climate Change Emails Debunked

By November 30, 2009

Paul Jay interviews George Monbiot on the leaked climate change emails from the University of East Anglia. Monbiot explains why the emails don't prove anything when it comes to debunking climate change:

Exposing the Deficit Obsession

By November 30, 2009

During George Bush's first term, Dick Cheney told former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill that "Reagan proved deficits don't matter". In a recent article in the Wall St Journal, Karl Rove argued that the nation's most pressing issue is the reduction of the deficit, and that Obama is angering voters with his domestic spending program. Why… Read More

Todmorden: A Model Eco Village

By November 29, 2009

A remarkable story in the Independent on a model eco town in Britain: In under two years, Todmorden has transformed the way it produces its food and the way residents think about the environment. Compared with 18 months ago, a third more townspeople now grow their own veg; almost seven in 10 now buy local… Read More

Independent Newspaper Uses Dirty Advertising Tricks

By November 27, 2009

The U.K's Independent is a good newspaper – it's fairly progressive, attracts good journalists, and is a decent read. I check in on it infrequently (it doesn't quite match the standards of the Guardian though), and it is a pretty good source of information. However, a recent piece breaking the news of a shockingly bad… Read More

U.K Iraq War Inquiry – No Direct Prosecutions

By November 26, 2009

Daily Banter contributor Nana Ampofo comments: Things that concern me about this inquiry: 1) composition – no military personnel, retired or otherwise, but there's room for two historians 2) this is not a judicial process i.e. it will not lead to any prosecutions directly; however, some will be given immunity for their testimony. Again, why… Read More

Yours Truly on Russia Today

By November 25, 2009

I was interviewed by Alyona Minkovski on 'Russia Today' on the difference between U.K and U.S protests. Check out 7 min 50 secs in!:

Why Journalists Are Wimps

By November 25, 2009

A brilliant piece by Matt Taibbi on the common species otherwise known as the political journalist: Your average political reporter is a spineless dweeb who went to all the best schools and made it to that privileged seat inside the campaign-trail ropeline by being keenly sensitive to the editorial wishes of his social and professional… Read More

Should Political Strategists Be Commentators?

By November 25, 2009

In the highly symbiotic world of political punditry and political strategy, differentiating the two professions is becoming increasingly difficult. Main stream media outlets invite party strategists on as commentators where they deliver specially crafted talking points designed to look like analysis. It isn't, and it is another reason why everyone should be deeply skeptical of… Read More

U.K Iraq War Inquiry – A Waste of Tax Payers Money

By November 24, 2009

A reader writes in response to my post on the U.K Iraq War inquiry: Come off it Ben…. Didn't you hear? It's "an independent enquiry"….. with a panel that just happens to consist of people selected from the current government (the one that told us about that bad Sadam man and his big guns) and… Read More

U.K Starts Iraq War Inquiry

By November 24, 2009

From the BBC: The investigation, looking at the whole period from 2001 to 2009, is expected to last months, with a report not out until after the next general election. Former Prime Minister Tony Blair will be among the future witnesses. Tuesday's session looks at UK foreign policy towards Iraq in the lead-up to the… Read More

Proof That Palin Fans Know Nothing

By November 24, 2009

Chase Whiteside and Erick Stoll of NewLeftMedia.com went down to a Sarah Palin book signing event in Columbus Ohio and interviewed eager fans on their thoughts about the former VP candidate. The result was a shocking indictment of Palinmania, and proof she is a media creation rather than a serious politician. Watch, and try not… Read More

Incoherent white American resentment

By November 23, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg Update: Just finished the article, and Palinsanity is another keeper.  It should be a clinical diagnosis… I was going to post this as a comment on Ben's earlier article about the always brilliant Matt Taibbi's latest article on Sarah Palin.  But it became such a long comment that I decided it could… Read More

More Deficits

By November 23, 2009

Paul Krugman on the deficit hysteria: The numbers don’t fit the scare story — a decade from now interest payments will reach a level not seen since … 1992. And the market seems unworried, since long-term rates remain low. And the Tories and Labour are engaged in trench warfare on the same issue in the… Read More

Deficits, Deficits, Deficits

By November 23, 2009

Bob Cesca on the Republican obsession with deficits: I think if you were to ask anyone in a non-polling setting whether they'd rather see job creation or deficit reduction, I can't imagine they'd go, "Screw feeding my family! I want to cut the deficit!"

Matt Taibbi: Sarah Palin is “Country’s First WWE Politician”

By November 23, 2009

Matt Taibbi on Sarah Palin's significance in the American political landscape: She is the country’s first WWE politician — a cartoon combatant who inspires stadiums full of frustrated middle American followers who will cheer for her against whichever villain they trot out, be it Newsweek, Barack Obama, Katie Couric, Steve Schmidt, the Mad Russian, Randy… Read More

Coma Man Discovered to be Conscious for 23 Years

By November 23, 2009

An amazing story from the Guardian: For 23 years Rom Houben was trapped in his own body, unable to communicate with his doctors or family. They presumed he was in a vegetative state following a near-fatal car crash in 1983. But then doctors used a state-of-the-art scanning system on the brain of the martial arts… Read More

Interrogating Palin Fans

By November 22, 2009

A couple of days ago, Nora O'Donnel interviewed a 17 year old Palin fan about the former V.P candidate's support of the financial bailout. The girl, known only as Jackie, had an ironic T-Shirt about the financial bailout saying: "The U.S Government handed out $700 billion on Wall St bailouts, and all I got was… Read More

American Justice: Levi’s Mother Gets 3 Years, Rush Limbaugh Goes Free

By November 21, 2009

When a rich, white man is found to be illegally buying huge quantities of prescription pain killers, he walks free and can continue his career making millions of dollars. When a poor single mother sells a small quantity of the same drug to pay for other medication she needs, she goes to jail for three… Read More

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

Subscribe to the Banter Newsletter!