Uncategorized

Deabting Obama’s Strategy, ctd.

By December 02, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg Just to add my two cents to the comments by Bob, Ben, and Matt, I think it is a fool's errand.  From my perspective, there are three main issues at hand here, only one of which actually has to do with Afghanistan.  The first is the same mistake large bureaucracies, especially the… Read More

Debating Obama’s Strategy

By December 02, 2009

The debate in the blogosphere rages on Obama's Afghan strategy: Bob Cesca writes: So it seems like the president's plan for rapidly securing the region followed by a withdrawal beginning in 2011 seems to be a good enough way to confront these disparate problems. But make no mistake, this is chemotherapy — this is a… Read More

The Exit Strategy

By December 02, 2009

Obama lays out the plans to remove troops from Afghanistan in 2011 (via Andrew Sullivan): This is exactly the same nonsense we heard about Iraq, that we would withdraw responsibly, that we'd 'make it clear that their country would be their responsibility' etc. This type of moral lecturing is deeply offensive given we have reduced… Read More

Glenn Beck: Miraculous Rebirth for America

By December 02, 2009

Glenn Beck on his vision for America’s future: “It’s not going to be pretty, but it’s going to be good….we’re going to have a miraculous rebirth!”

Predictably, Obama Chooses to Escalate Afghanistan War

By December 01, 2009

It is sad to say that Barack Obama has cowardly allowed himself to be bullied by the military and the hawks in his own party and the Republicans. In choosing to send 30,000 more troops to the endless black hole that is Afghanistan, Obama has shown he has no stomach to fight the establishment when… Read More

Cable News Ninjas

By December 01, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg According to John Cole at Balloon Juice, last night "Ed Schultz just spent fifteen minutes talking about the party crashers, and actually said “What if one of them were a ninja? Obama could have been killed.”" My love of ninjas is well known, and I like Ed Schultz, but seriously what the… Read More

David Cameron: Bred to be Prime Minister

By December 01, 2009

Madeleine Bunting writes a frighteningly accurate portrait of Tory leader David Cameron in the Guardian, giving insight into the vastly complex workings of the British upper classes and how the future rulers of the world are groomed. The article resonated with me because Cameron is much like many of the people I went to school… Read More

Karl Rove Thought Deficits Didn’t Matter 8 Years Ago

By November 30, 2009

Andrew Sullivan recalls a discussion with Karl Rove, now a crusader against deficits: I remember very vividly a heated argument with Karl Rove over eight years ago in which I worried about spending and deficits. "Deficits don't matter!" Rove kept repeating in that nasal world-weary tone he has. After a bit, I said, "What do… Read More

Climate Change Emails Debunked

By November 30, 2009

Paul Jay interviews George Monbiot on the leaked climate change emails from the University of East Anglia. Monbiot explains why the emails don't prove anything when it comes to debunking climate change:

Exposing the Deficit Obsession

By November 30, 2009

During George Bush's first term, Dick Cheney told former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill that "Reagan proved deficits don't matter". In a recent article in the Wall St Journal, Karl Rove argued that the nation's most pressing issue is the reduction of the deficit, and that Obama is angering voters with his domestic spending program. Why… Read More

Todmorden: A Model Eco Village

By November 29, 2009

A remarkable story in the Independent on a model eco town in Britain: In under two years, Todmorden has transformed the way it produces its food and the way residents think about the environment. Compared with 18 months ago, a third more townspeople now grow their own veg; almost seven in 10 now buy local… Read More

Independent Newspaper Uses Dirty Advertising Tricks

By November 27, 2009

The U.K's Independent is a good newspaper – it's fairly progressive, attracts good journalists, and is a decent read. I check in on it infrequently (it doesn't quite match the standards of the Guardian though), and it is a pretty good source of information. However, a recent piece breaking the news of a shockingly bad… Read More

U.K Iraq War Inquiry – No Direct Prosecutions

By November 26, 2009

Daily Banter contributor Nana Ampofo comments: Things that concern me about this inquiry: 1) composition – no military personnel, retired or otherwise, but there's room for two historians 2) this is not a judicial process i.e. it will not lead to any prosecutions directly; however, some will be given immunity for their testimony. Again, why… Read More

Yours Truly on Russia Today

By November 25, 2009

I was interviewed by Alyona Minkovski on 'Russia Today' on the difference between U.K and U.S protests. Check out 7 min 50 secs in!:

Why Journalists Are Wimps

By November 25, 2009

A brilliant piece by Matt Taibbi on the common species otherwise known as the political journalist: Your average political reporter is a spineless dweeb who went to all the best schools and made it to that privileged seat inside the campaign-trail ropeline by being keenly sensitive to the editorial wishes of his social and professional… Read More

Should Political Strategists Be Commentators?

By November 25, 2009

In the highly symbiotic world of political punditry and political strategy, differentiating the two professions is becoming increasingly difficult. Main stream media outlets invite party strategists on as commentators where they deliver specially crafted talking points designed to look like analysis. It isn't, and it is another reason why everyone should be deeply skeptical of… Read More

U.K Iraq War Inquiry – A Waste of Tax Payers Money

By November 24, 2009

A reader writes in response to my post on the U.K Iraq War inquiry: Come off it Ben…. Didn't you hear? It's "an independent enquiry"….. with a panel that just happens to consist of people selected from the current government (the one that told us about that bad Sadam man and his big guns) and… Read More

U.K Starts Iraq War Inquiry

By November 24, 2009

From the BBC: The investigation, looking at the whole period from 2001 to 2009, is expected to last months, with a report not out until after the next general election. Former Prime Minister Tony Blair will be among the future witnesses. Tuesday's session looks at UK foreign policy towards Iraq in the lead-up to the… Read More

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!