Uncategorized

A quick note on Gordon Brown

By November 11, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg I never thought I'd find myself defending him, but the crap the UK Prime Minister has been receiving for some errors in a hand written condolence note is pretty out of bounds.  There are many things for which it is legitimate to criticize any politician, and many more for Mr. Brown.  But… Read More

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Lou

By November 11, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg Update: Sorry folks, Ben and I double posted on this one.  But really I think this is worth it.  I really can't stand that man. Lou Dobbs is quitting CNN, effective immediately!  Tonight's show will be his last.  That's a fantastic step in the right direction for CNN, and the MSM in… Read More

Thank God – Lou Dobss Quits CNN

By November 11, 2009

And about time too (via the Huff Post): All bets are on for Dobbs going to Fox – it’s not if, but when.

David Cameron Wants ‘Fairer Britain’

By November 11, 2009

If there's one thing Tory leader David Cameron is good at, it's catching the public mood. In a recent speech at the Hugo Young lecture at the Guardian, Cameron spelled out his vision of a 'fairer Britain'. Distancing himself from laissez faire capitalism, Cameron also blamed overreaching government for breaking down social cohesion and responsibility… Read More

Glenn Greenwald Smashes David Brooks Again

By November 11, 2009

Glenn Greenwald really is turning attacking NY Times columnist David Brooks into a sport. In his latest demolition job, Greenwald takes Brooks to task for his column in the Times that claims 'there is a unique evil that one finds in the "fringes of the Muslim world"'. Brooks writes: This narrative causes its adherents to… Read More

Debunking ‘Super Freakonomics’

By November 11, 2009

Elisabeth Kolbert of the New Yorker takes apart Levitt and Dubner's claim that climate change would be 'easy' to solve (the economist and journalist believe that shooting sulfur into the atmosphere via a 18 mile hose would do the trick): Neither Levitt, an economist, nor Dubner, a journalist, has any training in climate science—or, for… Read More

Nidal Hasan Urged Military to Excuse Muslim Soldiers

By November 10, 2009

The Washington Post gives a fascinating insight into the mind of Fort Hood killer Nidal Hasan who delivered a speech to Army medical staff on the need for Muslims to be able to leave the military as 'conscientious objectors': In late June 2007, he stood before his supervisors and about 25 other mental health staff… Read More

The Men Who Stare at Votes

By November 10, 2009

Jon Stewart really should run for office one day: The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c

Why We all Need to Boycott Fox

By November 10, 2009

Rupert Murdoch calls Barack Obama a racist, providing ample reason to boycott the mans entire business empire:

Mainstream Pundits Turning Against Israel

By November 10, 2009

A strange thing seems to be happening amongst elite pundits. They are slowly but surely throwing in the towel on Israel after realizing that the psychopathic Netanyahu clearly has no intention of brokering a deal with the Palestinians. Illegal Settlement activity has not stopped, more houses are on the way in east Jerusalem, and the… Read More

British People Want a Fairer Society

By November 09, 2009

Carrying on from earlier today, it appears that prominent politicians are set to debate growing wealth inequality in Britain. From the Guardian: A fierce debate within the government on how to tackle entrenched wealth inequality – possibly through a high pay commission or a tax on assets – is to be ignited by a report… Read More

Sarah Palin Not Writing Facebook Updates

By November 09, 2009

Blue Texan on FireDogLake makes a hilarious point about Sarah Palin's facebook updates: that they cannot have been written by her. How do we know this? Easy – just compare her normal rambling nonsense with the eloquent prose posted on the social networking site: The latest update from the ‘Cuda begins: Twenty years ago, the… Read More

Wide Spread Dissatisfaction with Free Market Capitalism

By November 09, 2009

A far reaching BBC poll has concluded that most of the world is deeply dissatisfied with free market capitalism, and many deem it a 'fatally flawed' system: More than 29,000 people in 27 countries were questioned. In only two countries, the United States and Pakistan, did more than one in five people feel that capitalism… Read More

Health Care Passes in the House

By November 08, 2009

The bill that (finally) passed in the House is far from perfect, but nevertheless, it is a major victory for reform, and a very positive step in the right direction. The NY Times reports: After a daylong clash with Republicans over what has been a Democratic goal for decades, lawmakers voted 220 to 215 to… Read More

Health Care Bill Likely to Pass

By November 07, 2009

So far, it looks good. Thankfully, Obama has gone full throttle on getting the necessary votes, so we may have a reasonable bill by tomorrow.

Texas Shooting Could Bring Turmoil to U.S

By November 06, 2009

The horrific shooting on the Fort Hood military base in Texas has the potential to turn very, very nasty on a national level. The fact that a Muslim man appears to be responsible for the killing of 12 U.S soldiers will do little to calm the fragile relations between Americans and the Islamic world. The… Read More

New Huff Post Column – Diary of a Fallen Soldier

By November 06, 2009

Check out my latest Huff Post piece on an old school friend of mine who died in Afghanistan this year. His diary was published in a major British newspaper, and I happened to come across it last night.

Jon Stewart Lampoons Glenn Beck: “There’s a War Going on in Glenn Beck’s Internal Organs”

By November 06, 2009

I literally had tears in my eyes watching Jon Stewart do his best Glenn Beck impression: The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c The 11/3 Project www.thedailyshow.com Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Health Care Crisis