Uncategorized

Delusional Palin Fans

By November 19, 2009

Yes, Sarah Palin was more qualified than John McCain, Joe Biden and Barack Obama to hold office, and was apparently against the bailout after she was for it. According to her fans that is….watch and try not to laugh:

Why Won’t Obama Regulate the Banks?

By November 19, 2009

As a progressive, it is getting increasingly difficult to defend Barack Obama's continued coddling of the financial industry. Not only has the Obama administration used tax payers money to bail out the toxic banks that gambled their assets away, he is refusing to properly regulate them at a time when the government actually has the… Read More

New Google Phone May Be VoIP

By November 18, 2009

Ok, this is usually a political blog, but the news that Google might be coming out with a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) mobile phone is quite revolutionary for the cell phone industry. Why? Because it isn't technically a phone, and it could mark the beginning of a new era of far cheaper calls for… Read More

Why the Rich Smear Unions

By November 18, 2009

Here's Glenn Beck smearing the SEIU (Service Employees International Union) in an easily disprovable rant: Smearing unions is a time tested trick that the rich and powerful use over and over again to further their financial interests. In America, people are brought up to believe that unions are the source of all evil – a… Read More

Liberal Hawk Uncovered as War Profiteer

By November 17, 2009

Glenn Greenwald on the Democrat's leading hawk Peter Galbraith, who, as it turns out, had a huge financial stake in the Iraq war: After playing a key role in enabling the invasion of Iraq, Galbraith first became one of a handful of U.S. officials who worked on writing the Iraqi Constitution, and after he resigned… Read More

Krugman Lays Out New Godwin Laws on Economy

By November 17, 2009

Paul Krugman is understandably at his wits end with the relentless conservative dogma still wielded as fact. So, he proposes an extension to Godwin's law (that at some point, politician will use a Nazi/Hitler analogy to win a debate). The rules are that anyone who: 1. Responds to calls for more government action in some… Read More

Are Literary Agents and Publishers Racists or Just Dumb?

By November 17, 2009

Guest Post by Jason Hill “Are agents and publishers racists, or just plain dumb?” I ask my friend Cassandra as we sip our cappuccinos in Café Einstein in Unter den Linden in Berlin where I’ve been holed up on sabbatical for five months writing my third book, and where she is on a quick business… Read More

The Lies of Sarah Palin

By November 17, 2009

The Huff Post publishes a long list of unnecessary Sarah Palin lies. None of them are particularly big scandals, but it paints a larger picture of a serial fantasist unable to separate truth from fiction. It also shows that Palin is clearly completely unfit for office, and should be reigned in by the GOP and… Read More

The Row About Obama’s Bow

By November 16, 2009

On a state visit, President Obama decided to bow to Japan's Emperor. Surprise, surprise, the chicken hawk Right imploded, and are accusing the President of disgracing the United States (from the AP): "I don't know why President Obama thought that was appropriate. Maybe he thought it would play well in Japan. But it's not appropriate… Read More

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Debt?

By November 16, 2009

Andrew Sullivan makes an interesting point about the Republican's obsession with Obama's stimulus spending: The way in which cynical and amnesiac Republicans have tried to portray this as classic big government liberalism is a lie. You can debate the merits of each initiative, but this is obviously not an administration as fiscally reckless as the… Read More

Is Prejean Fair Game?

By November 15, 2009

My good friend Robert writes in to debate with me on my Carrie Prejean article: Back when I was 18, I wasn't convinced of a necessity for gay marriage when civil unions were gaining acceptability. Now that I'm older, I've come to believe that it's a privacy issue, much like a woman's choice, and thus,… Read More

What is going on in this country?: Man convicted of robbing mom over parking ticket

By November 13, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg From HuffPost: "An Anchorage man has been convicted of robbing his mother at gunpoint because she didn't give him money to help pay a parking ticket. The Anchorage district attorney said Thursday that 27-year-old Cheng Saelee was also convicted of illegally contacting his mother from jail and trying to get her to… Read More

Time to Leave Carrie Prejean Alone

By November 13, 2009

I try to make it a point not to blog about celebrities as I think their dominance in modern culture is immensely damaging to people, particularly young teenagers. Beauty Pageants like 'Miss America' perpetuate the myth of physical perfection and objectify women as commodities rather than human beings. Parading around a stage in a bikini… Read More

Lou Dobbs: The Onion’s take

By November 12, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg From The Onion via Andrew Sullivan: "Acting on anonymous tips from within the Hispanic-American community, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials on Wednesday deported Luis Miguel Salvador Aguila Dominguez, who for the last 48 years had been living illegally in the United States under the name Lou Dobbs… "Mr. Dominguez did not… Read More

Next Generation of Protestors to Arrive in Copenhagen

By November 12, 2009

Naomi Klein profiles the next generation of protesters who will descend on Copenhagen: There is certainly a Seattle quality to the Copenhagen mobilisation: the range of groups that will be there; the diverse tactics that will be on display; and the developing-country governments ready to bring activist demands into the summit. But Copenhagen is not… Read More

Obama on Afghanistan War: Will He or Won’t He?

By November 12, 2009

Bob Cesca mulls Obama's upcoming decision on whether to escalate the war in Afghanistan: I hasten to emphasize that we don't know exactly what's going on in these meetings, but it's clear that the notion of escalating in Afghanistan isn't making sense to the president. And it shouldn't. He has as much, if not more,… Read More

Can We Agree?

By November 12, 2009

by David Glenn Cox Can we agree that Franklin Roosevelt was a liberal Democrat? Can we agree the Harry Truman was a liberal Democrat? Roosevelt first dreamed of a single payer national healthcare scheme that would run concurrently with Social Security. In 1948 Harry Truman brought a single payer, government-run health care plan to Congress…. Read More

Defining Marriage

By November 12, 2009

The fantastic Dan Savage lays out the overwhelmingly moral case for Gay marriage: