Uncategorized

American Justice: Levi’s Mother Gets 3 Years, Rush Limbaugh Goes Free

By November 21, 2009

When a rich, white man is found to be illegally buying huge quantities of prescription pain killers, he walks free and can continue his career making millions of dollars. When a poor single mother sells a small quantity of the same drug to pay for other medication she needs, she goes to jail for three… Read More

No Irritating Questions for Sarah Palin Please

By November 20, 2009

Sarah Palin's book tour while wildly popular with Republicans is having an opposite and equal effect amongst liberals. The amount of ire she has managed to create is extraordinary, and every liberal blog is devoting huge amounts of space to ridiculing her every move. I feel slightly silly spending so much time on her, but… Read More

Real Change Comes to Washington Via Alan Grayson and Ron Paul

By November 20, 2009

Glenn Greenwald heralds an astonishing turn of events on the Hill – a bipartisan effort to seriously audit the Fed: Something quite amazing happened yesterday in Congress:  the House Finance Committee — in a truly bipartisan and even trans-ideological vote — defied the banking industry, the Federal Reserve, the Democratic leadership, and mainstream Beltway opinion in order to… Read More

Quote of the Week: Jon Stewart on Limited Government

By November 20, 2009

Jon Stewart asks Lou Dobbs why Republican fears about big government only occur when Democrats are in power: "Why do they always catch up to the fears during the Democratic administrations? It feels like all the people that want limited government really just want government limited to Republicans." Watch the fascinating debate with the fired… Read More

Grow Your Own Meat

By November 19, 2009

Some disturbing/intriguing/possibly environment saving news on the production of meat – it will soon be possible to grow meat in labs rather than on live animals. From Live Science: Increasingly, bioengineers are growing nerve, heart and other tissues in labs. Recently, scientists even reported developing artificial penis tissue in rabbits. Although such research is meant… Read More

Sarah Palin, Ultra Zionist

By November 19, 2009

In an interview with Barbara Walters, Sarah Palin stunningly revealed that she is further to the Right than most Israelis on the issue of settlements and believes Israel should be allowed to expand indefinitely: WALTERS: The Obama administration does not want Israel to build any more settlements on what they consider Palestinian territory. What is… Read More

Delusional Palin Fans

By November 19, 2009

Yes, Sarah Palin was more qualified than John McCain, Joe Biden and Barack Obama to hold office, and was apparently against the bailout after she was for it. According to her fans that is….watch and try not to laugh:

Why Won’t Obama Regulate the Banks?

By November 19, 2009

As a progressive, it is getting increasingly difficult to defend Barack Obama's continued coddling of the financial industry. Not only has the Obama administration used tax payers money to bail out the toxic banks that gambled their assets away, he is refusing to properly regulate them at a time when the government actually has the… Read More

New Google Phone May Be VoIP

By November 18, 2009

Ok, this is usually a political blog, but the news that Google might be coming out with a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) mobile phone is quite revolutionary for the cell phone industry. Why? Because it isn't technically a phone, and it could mark the beginning of a new era of far cheaper calls for… Read More

Why the Rich Smear Unions

By November 18, 2009

Here's Glenn Beck smearing the SEIU (Service Employees International Union) in an easily disprovable rant: Smearing unions is a time tested trick that the rich and powerful use over and over again to further their financial interests. In America, people are brought up to believe that unions are the source of all evil – a… Read More

Liberal Hawk Uncovered as War Profiteer

By November 17, 2009

Glenn Greenwald on the Democrat's leading hawk Peter Galbraith, who, as it turns out, had a huge financial stake in the Iraq war: After playing a key role in enabling the invasion of Iraq, Galbraith first became one of a handful of U.S. officials who worked on writing the Iraqi Constitution, and after he resigned… Read More

Krugman Lays Out New Godwin Laws on Economy

By November 17, 2009

Paul Krugman is understandably at his wits end with the relentless conservative dogma still wielded as fact. So, he proposes an extension to Godwin's law (that at some point, politician will use a Nazi/Hitler analogy to win a debate). The rules are that anyone who: 1. Responds to calls for more government action in some… Read More

Are Literary Agents and Publishers Racists or Just Dumb?

By November 17, 2009

Guest Post by Jason Hill “Are agents and publishers racists, or just plain dumb?” I ask my friend Cassandra as we sip our cappuccinos in Café Einstein in Unter den Linden in Berlin where I’ve been holed up on sabbatical for five months writing my third book, and where she is on a quick business… Read More

The Lies of Sarah Palin

By November 17, 2009

The Huff Post publishes a long list of unnecessary Sarah Palin lies. None of them are particularly big scandals, but it paints a larger picture of a serial fantasist unable to separate truth from fiction. It also shows that Palin is clearly completely unfit for office, and should be reigned in by the GOP and… Read More

The Row About Obama’s Bow

By November 16, 2009

On a state visit, President Obama decided to bow to Japan's Emperor. Surprise, surprise, the chicken hawk Right imploded, and are accusing the President of disgracing the United States (from the AP): "I don't know why President Obama thought that was appropriate. Maybe he thought it would play well in Japan. But it's not appropriate… Read More

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Debt?

By November 16, 2009

Andrew Sullivan makes an interesting point about the Republican's obsession with Obama's stimulus spending: The way in which cynical and amnesiac Republicans have tried to portray this as classic big government liberalism is a lie. You can debate the merits of each initiative, but this is obviously not an administration as fiscally reckless as the… Read More

Is Prejean Fair Game?

By November 15, 2009

My good friend Robert writes in to debate with me on my Carrie Prejean article: Back when I was 18, I wasn't convinced of a necessity for gay marriage when civil unions were gaining acceptability. Now that I'm older, I've come to believe that it's a privacy issue, much like a woman's choice, and thus,… Read More

What is going on in this country?: Man convicted of robbing mom over parking ticket

By November 13, 2009

by Ari Rutenberg From HuffPost: "An Anchorage man has been convicted of robbing his mother at gunpoint because she didn't give him money to help pay a parking ticket. The Anchorage district attorney said Thursday that 27-year-old Cheng Saelee was also convicted of illegally contacting his mother from jail and trying to get her to… Read More