Politics

TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES: Would You Rather Vote in Your State OR Vote in the Corporation You Work For?

By April 04, 2014
coffeetalk

This seems like the perfect opportunity to try something new out here at the old Daily Banter: Let’s just toss this up as a discussion topic, and we can all have a little fun with our own answers in the comment section.

The Daily Banter Mail Bag! The Supreme Court’s Campaign Finance Decision, the Gun Control Debate and the Inevitable #CancelBanter Hashtag.

By April 04, 2014
Guns!

In this week’s edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss the Supreme Court’s campaign finance decision, the gun control debate and the inevitable #CancelBanter hashtag.

10 Questions With…Tommy Christopher!

By April 04, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 6.30.29 PM

As part of our “10 Questions With…” interview series, we chatted with him about journalistic biases, stand-up comedy, and live-tweeting a heart attack.

Worried About Government Spying? Try the ‘Justice Cap.’ (Not Made of Tinfoil, but Close.)

By April 03, 2014
justice_cap

Yes, it’s an actual hat however, no, it’s not made of tinfoil. The Justice Cap contains a series of LED lights on the brim which the manufacturer claims will white-out your face when it’s captured on a surveillance camera.

Fort Hood 2 and Gun Control: Frustrating or Demoralizing?

By April 03, 2014
gabby

We’ve reached a point where our gun massacres have sequels. Yesterday’s mass shooting was the second-deadliest in Ft. Hood’s history, but also only ranks third in the history of Killeen, Texas.

Horribly Insecure Donald Trump Pretends He Might Buy the Buffalo Bills

By April 03, 2014
donald-trump

Donald Trump says he’s thinking about buying the Buffalo Bills, which means that Donald Trump will not be buying the Buffalo Bills — at least not a notable stake anyway

Quote of the Day: Russia Tells the U.S. To Chill

By April 03, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 8.07.10 AM

Redefining what it means to be smug.

Louie Gohmert Thinks the Church-State ‘Wall of Separation’ is a ‘One Way Wall’

By April 03, 2014
gohmert

Gohmert describes how, for a period of time, nondenominational Christian church services (for “all faiths of Christianity”) were held every Sunday inside the chamber, a room which also happened to be the original House of Representatives. He also mentions that Thomas Jefferson, while president, would attend Sunday services regularly there.

THE MORNING BANTER: Fort Hood Shootings, Supreme Court Decisions, Cuban Twitter, and Red Hot Chili Memoirs

By April 03, 2014
rhcp-flea

Happy Thursday! Just a few deep breaths and stiff drinks away from Friday! Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

To Put It Simply: Supreme Court Decides That Money Will Buy Every Election From Here On Out

By April 02, 2014
Corporate-Free-Speech

Campaign fundraising is really complicated issue. Or at least, it appears to be very complicated.

Somehow, what seems to be a very simple concept — that money is the dirty part of politics and it probably should have the most oversight and regulation — has gotten really confusing, to the point that all rhetoric has resorted to the equivalent of political gaslighting.

The Most Egregious Examples of Hobby Lobby’s Religious Hypocrisy

By April 02, 2014
jesus_facepalm

Hobby Lobby, which is suing the federal government over Obamacare’s mandary contraception coverage, offers its employees a 401(k) retirement plan that happens invest $73 million in pharmaceutical companies that develop and produce various forms of contraception. And that’s not all…

THE MORNING BANTER: Fox News Apologies, GM Ignorance, Jay Carney’s Frustrations, and a Dramatic Turn for Anchorman

By April 02, 2014
anchorman-2

Happy Wednesday I guess! Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

How Taco Bell’s 1996 April Fools Prank Could Save The Economy

By April 02, 2014
united-corporations-of-america-map-1024x783

Did you realize that Nike’s $23.5 billion in revenue last year puts it ahead of most countries annual GDP? You know what we should be telling them if they want to throw a billion or two of that our way to put a swoosh on the Washington Monument?

Just do it.

The Daily Banter’s-Eye View of President Obama’s ACA Remarks

By April 01, 2014
banter_obama_aca_speech

Over the years, it has become the habit of some reporters (myself included) to skip prepared remarks like these, based on the rationale that you can watch it all on Healthcare.gov, or C-Span, or CNN. However, one of the advantages of being a small publication is that you can shoot video from spots the big guys can’t get to, and with more agility. You won’t see that bee harassing a member of the audience on Fox News (well, maybe now, you will).

White House’s Jay Carney ‘Frustrated’ By Bad Headlines on Obamacare’s ‘Best Day’

By April 01, 2014
carney (1)

There were some, alas, who attempted to move the goalposts by suggesting to White House Press Secretary Jay Carney that the real measure of success is how many of those enrollees were previously uninsured, a number that is conveniently uncertain.

TheBlaze Reporter and ABC News’ Jon Karl Ask Exact Same Obamacare Question

By April 01, 2014
lucas

Now that the Affordable Care Act has passed that milestone, and then some, you might be wondering what’s coming next from Obamacare’s haters, and from the media.

WATCH: Stephen Colbert’s Epic Response to #CancelColbert

By April 01, 2014
colbert_redskins

Colbert’s entire Monday night show was dedicated to a half-hour response to the Twitter controversy surrounding a joke from last week lampooning Dan Snyder’s new “Redskins” charity. And it was amazing.

THE MORNING BANTER: Obamacare Victories, Glenn Beck Getting Sued, UN Super-Villains, and HIMYM Finales

By April 01, 2014
ObamaAngryHandsinBoston10-16-10Applewhtejpg_600

Happy Monday! Just kidding, it’s Tuesday! I love April Fools. Here’s what’s happening on the interweb: