Contributors

Oliver Willis

Oliver Willis has been a blogger since 2000 and has one of the most visited sites in the liberal blogosphere. A widely followed Huffington Post contributor and employee for Media Matters, Oliver is one of the major voices on the progressive Left. As the Boston Globe notes, ‘When Oliver Willis talks, the blogosphere cares.’

Top Articles by Oliver Willis

alex-jones-joker-tn

Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories (And Why You Shouldn’t)

I’ve been a strange sort of “fan” of the conspiracy theory movement for a long time now. As a nonbeliever, I enjoy watching the creation of an alternate reality that generally has no relation to reality. I got interested in the conspiracy that is the granddaddy of the modern conspiracy movement, the John F. Kennedy… Read More

boston-police-watertown-tn

Why Your Local Police Department Needs A Drone

Some of my fellow liberals have often voiced concerns about the “militarization” of the police, lamenting the advanced weapons and vehicles acquired by many police across the country. I think their concerns are legitimate but I disagree with them. While last week in Boston was definitely an outlier, it also highlighted the need for police… Read More

Screen shot 2013-04-18 at 2.47.09 PM

We Don’t Even Do Small Things, Gun Safety Edition

President Obama’s state of the union speech from 2011 had as its theme the idea that America does “big things.” At the time, I was cynical about that idea, and now I’m even more depressed about it. The background check proposal that was defeated in the Senate by the Republican Party and four terrible Democrats… Read More

fenway-park-tn

The Boston Marathon Attack & The Normalization Of Horrible Things

A few days ago I was discussing how weird it felt when nothing was happening. It was too quiet. And then something has happened, and its spectacular and horrible and terrible – and then another thing will happen after that. And I hate that that is the way we live now.

Beating Up On Obama About Social Security Is Okay

The Obama administration’s proposal on social security is very dumb. It is unusually dumb in that it simultaneously turns off the President’s base while failing to attract any Republican support. I also think the administration has, so far, done a rather poor job of defending a proposal – from a Democratic president – to cut… Read More

Why I’m Not Nice To Conservatives

In my interaction with conservatives on Twitter, I inevitably run into a wall with them when I say something that is – less than complimentary of the right. Its always kind of strange to me when this occurs. I say what I actually think about the conservative movement in America. I’m not saying what anyone… Read More

The Secret Origin Of How I Became A Liberal

UPDATE: So you have an idea of how the timeline below shakes out, I was born in December of 1977 and I’m currently 35. The first thing I can remember, politically, is the Iran-Contra hearings. At the time, I didn’t really care about the details, my major concern was that finally somebody named “Oliver” was… Read More

Facebook Phone & Jumping The Shark: Please Kill The Tech Event

Today Facebook held an event for an Android OS skin. That’s all their announcement was really about. It didn’t advance technology, it didn’t even make Facebook better. It’s a freaking skin.

The “Religious” Right Is Wrong, Mark Sanford Edition

When Bill Clinton was caught cheating on his wife, Mark Sanford was appalled. He thought the President should resign and found his behavior “reprehensible.” And then he voted to remove him from office. Fast forward a bit, and Mark Sanford ditched his publicly financed office for a secret dalliance with his mistress. Just a little… Read More

Jackbooted ACLU Thugs Support Drones*

I, and many others more important than me, have been in an ongoing tussle over drones. Specifically on one side are the anti-drone absolutists who have foolishly decided to make their argument about a technology and not about policy. Specifically, arguing against drones is arguing against a small flying device. It is as useful as… Read More

Gay People Are Boring, Obama Is Boring, And That’s Great For America

Back in the deep, dark days of America – the late ‘80s to mid-90s – the “religious” right had a go-to image for their campaigns against gay rights: leather guy. Whenever the right went on one of its crusades against gay rights – things like treating gay people like humans and funding HIV research –… Read More

Freedomworks Gives In, Turns To Left Wing Branding

The gang at Freedomworks, the lobbyist group disguised as a conservative advocacy organization, has taken a break from making bestiality-themed videos in order to promote their latest event around tax day. Freedomworks created one of the first Tea Party events, on April 15, 2009 just months after President Obama’s first inauguration when conservatives suddenly discovered… Read More

nbc-sandusky-tn

Desperate NBC Using Paterno Apologist’s Footage For Sandusky “Exclusive” Interview

NBC’s Today has lost the morning news crown to Good Morning America, and if they have to get into the pedophile business, oh well. It was already stomach turning to see NBC touting their “exclusive” jailhouse interview with Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State coach who was convicted on 45 charges of child sexual abuse…. Read More

Sorry, But You Were Dumb For Supporting The Iraq War

On the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War, some people are writing up mea culpas on their war support – some more honest than others – and the proper response is supposed to be an acknowledgement that we all make mistakes and it would have been an honest failure to support the Bush administration’s adventure… Read More

That Time When George W. Bush Got All Those People Killed, AKA The Iraq War

Today is the 10th anniversary of one of the dumbest decisions in the history of the world. George W. Bush – enabled by a compliant Congress of Democrats and Republicans – made the decision to invade and occupy Iraq, which posed no threat to the United States or its international allies. As a result of… Read More

palin-big-gulp-tn

The GOP Is The Creature From Palin Island

In retrospect, the 2010 election may have been the worst thing possible for the right. On the surface, it seemed like a good deal: they got rid of Nancy Pelosi and earned the House’s power of the purse and the power to investigate. But much like their predecessors in the 1994 GOP takeover of the… Read More

Whoops 2013: CPAC’s Bigot Eruption

It wasn’t supposed to go down this way. CPAC had prepared for the inevitable liberal comments about how CPAC was so old, so white, and had tossed in some black and latino speakers into the mix. There was Allen West! Tim Scott! Nikki Haley! All the conservatives of color, assembled in one location. But because… Read More

bush-flight-doll-tn

How The War Party Committed Policy Suicide

For the bulk of my adult life (that is, 1995-present, more or less) it has been accepted wisdom that the Republican Party is the superior standard-bearer on the issue of national security. That isn’t true anymore, and even in the insulated fact-resistant confines of Washington, D.C. that is becoming clear. The 2 ton gorilla in… Read More