Contributors

Oliver Willis

Oliver Willis has been a blogger since 2000 and has one of the most visited sites in the liberal blogosphere. A widely followed Huffington Post contributor and employee for Media Matters, Oliver is one of the major voices on the progressive Left. As the Boston Globe notes, ‘When Oliver Willis talks, the blogosphere cares.’

Top Articles by Oliver Willis

Snowden Asylum Applications Reveal More Stupidity

Via Wikileaks, NSA leaker Edward Snowden has just released a list of countries where he has applied for asylum. Snowden laughably claims that he risks “persecution” in the United States. You know, because he released classified information, some of it worthy of revelation, much of it done to shame the country and reveal national security… Read More

Little Eddie Snowden Doesn’t Wanna Play Whistleblower No More

Edward Snowden’s statement by way of Wikileaks is hilarious and sad. I don’t know if it was Glenn Greenwald, Julian Assange, the Russian government or someone else who whispered sweet nothings in his ear as he went undercover to leak national security secrets to the world, but he sounds like he’s all tuckered out. It… Read More

DOMA, Voting Rights and the Bigot’s Last Gasp

Bigotry is dying in America. Unfortunately, it isn’t a quick death. But bigotry, at least as far as institutionalized bigotry enshrined by American law in the most shameful manner, is dying. Even as the conservatives on the Supreme Court did their best to defang the Voting Rights Act, the same court came to the logical… Read More

Will Immigration Break Boehner?

It still seems impossible that comprehensive immigration form may actually pass in the Senate on a bipartisan basis, but the question is what the hell will John Boehner do now? A combination of a minority of Republicans and a majority of Democrats could pass the bill, but could it be a bridge too far for… Read More

The Tea Party & The Inevitable Return Of The Stupid Party

If you are part of the conservative movement that supports dead-end, reactionary, doomed to fail policies and legislation this has been a great week for you. The most vibrant sector of Republican politics, the Tea Party, is largely composed of people who are going to die relatively soon. They aren’t growing, and they can only… Read More

Edward Snowden, Childish Simpleton

Two separate dispatches from Edward Snowden on Monday have continued to unravel the wannabe whistleblower and show him to be something of a simpleton in the way he views the world. First, his latest leak published by The Guardian. Snowden has revealed the shocking fact that the American government spies on people. Not just any… Read More

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 11.30.10 PM

Review: Man Of Steel

It’s pretty hard to make a globally recognized 75 year old icon appear new and fresh, but somehow Man of Steel manages to do it.

NSA Leaks, Nuance & Me

I’m a pretty bad person to argue in favor of nuance. Historically, I’m more likely to take a hammer to an issue, rather than a scalpel. But for a second, I’d like to amble on over to Nuanceville. I think that leaking classified information is clearly a crime, punishable by jail time and even worse… Read More

America Has A Right To Fight CyberWar In The Shadows

The people have a right to know what their government is doing, certainly when it involves deaths and possible abuses of a physical or civil libertarian nature. But there are some things we don’t need to know. At any given movement, the world’s governments are all spying on each other, keeping an eye on enemies… Read More

The NSA Violates The Batman Standard

In the film The Dark Knight, Batman believes that the threat from mass killer Joker is at such a high level that he makes the choice to violate the privacy of the entire city by tapping into their cellphones in order to find and eliminate his nemesis. His friend and ally, Lucius Fox, is shocked… Read More

The Special Interest Group Who Writes Your Daily Newspaper

Imagine if a special interest group controlled the news, particularly the news that was about the issues near and dear to them and their lobbying interests. Imagine if only the NRA wrote all the stories having to do with guns, or if only Planned Parenthood had a say in stories about abortion and choice, or… Read More

The State Of Conservative Media, 2013

The conservative media isn’t what it used to be. The height in power of the right wing press in the modern era probably encompasses the years 1998-2004, which include four of the movement’s major victories: the impeachment of Bill Clinton, the election of George W. Bush , the launch of the Iraq War, and the… Read More

Jor-El, Krypton’s Science Council, And American Politics

Sometimes I get really really disillusioned about the state of American politics. I had one of those moments on Saturday morning listening to an episode of This American Life about climate change. One of the segments detailed how the people who are most affected by climate change – farmers – are also in the political… Read More

lindsay-g-impeach-tn

Everything New Is Old: Benghazi & Co.

I’m 35, which some people still count as kind of young but sort of old, but watching the GOP do its dance with the mainstream media over fake scandals, I end up sighing like an old man. I’ve seen this show before. Democratic president with a recovering economy, just re-elected over the latest next great… Read More

Breitbart Can’t Even Get Its Own Nonsense Narratives Right

From Breitbart.com today: Comedian Jay Pharoah won’t go down as one of Saturday Night Live’s best presidential mimics. How could he? The talented comic never lays a satirical glove on the president thanks to a writing team which refuses to take tough but fair shots at the president or his policies. Emphasis mine. This is one of… Read More

clark-kent-reporter-tn

Dear Professional Press, You Aren’t Special

The First Amendment is one of the greatest things about the U.S. Constitution. But in these days of press fainting with a bout of the vapors, it is also worth noting that the First Amendment applies to all of us, not just the folks with the PRESS label sticking out of their fedoras. If you… Read More

nixon-helicopter-tn

Scandal Fever & The Right’s Nixon Narrative Problem

According to the right’s current narrative, the Obama administration is abusing its power. They claim that recent events indicate plotting and machinations by the President and his advisers that rise to the high crimes of the Nixon era. Putting aside just how phony these “scandals” are, based on the faux history the right has peddled… Read More

jim-demint-tn

Epistemic Closure, Monoculture, & The Heritage Foundation’s Latest Bigot Eruption

Conservatives, even after getting beaten in back to back elections, do not really believe they have any problems. They think it is perfectly fine for them to have a mostly old, mostly white party that loses by gigantic margins among women, blacks, Latinos and other minority groups. At best they think that the solution to… Read More