Contributors

Oliver Willis

Oliver Willis has been a blogger since 2000 and has one of the most visited sites in the liberal blogosphere. A widely followed Huffington Post contributor and employee for Media Matters, Oliver is one of the major voices on the progressive Left. As the Boston Globe notes, ‘When Oliver Willis talks, the blogosphere cares.’

Top Articles by Oliver Willis

Flag_map_of_United_States_(American_Pride_Flag)

No Tolerance For Bigotry

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham quoted a guest of hers, Heritage Foundation fellow Ryan T. Anderson, who complained that the left is trying to “stamp out every last vestige of opposition to same sex marriage.” My response? YES. All Americans, not just “the left” should be doing our all to stamp out bigotry and discrimination… Read More

quinto-spock

Obama’s Vulcan Foreign Policy

It always kind of bugs me when people repeat the idea that liberals are always driven by emotion, while conservatives are the “just the facts” Jack Webbs of the world. Case in point: American foreign policy. George W. Bush’s foreign policy was often driven by emotion and off the cuff rhetoric. From the idea of… Read More

Lupita Nyong'o

I Don’t Think You Actually Think Lupita Nyong’o Is That Great

Lupita Nyong’o does a great job in 12 Years A Slave, and she should win the Oscar she’s been nominated for. But I feel really weird at the way a lot of the media has focused on Nyong’o in the last few months. Every red carpet appearance she’s made and every magazine photo layout she’s… Read More

kids-in-1950s-classroom

Can We PLEASE Give People Some Time To Understand Transgender Issues Before We Bash Them For It?

For many people this stuff is strange and new and they haven’t quite wrapped their heads around a lot of the real, serious issues it involves. Show them an open hand rather than a closed fist.

www.richard-seaman.com

Make The Call: Drones, Soldiers Or Do Nothing

Drones are not perfect. Their use is based on data collection, human intelligence and other factors. When a drone strikes a target, there is always the element of randomness in its mission. Drones have killed innocent civilians while targeting terrorists and Taliban elements. Yet, of the options on the table, they are the least bad… Read More

hillary-clinton-cellphone

The Right Is Going To Elect President Hillary Clinton

If Hillary Clinton takes the presidential oath of office on January 20, 2017, her victory will be partially thanks to voters, volunteers, donors and… the right wing. The very concept of Hillary Clinton running for the presidency, let alone winning it, seems to have the same effect on the right as waving a red flag… Read More

weekend-at-bernies

The Republican Party Is A Corpse

The Republican Party, as we know it, has ceased to exist. To be sure, there is a national party with the brand “Republican” that fields candidates across the country for national, statewide and municipal elections, but at a real, practical level it is just a corpse that is pulled around by the real men (and they’re almost all men) with power and fat check books.

ren-stimpy

Liberals Need To Get Happy

Middle of the road. Not bold enough. Not progressive enough. These are all charges that have been leveled at President Obama. They were also leveled at Lyndon Johnson, Franklin Roosevelt, and Bill Clinton. American liberals have a hard time being happy with what they’ve got. We don’t live in a system with viable third parties,… Read More

Redskins Super Bowl Ring 1987

The Washington Redskins Should Change Their Name

First, some caveats. I am a life-long Washington Redskins fan. I am not a sports fan or football fan, but I am a Redskins fan. I bleed burgundy and gold. I own several Redskins jerseys, including Gus Frerotte, Doug Williams and a custom Redskins jersey with my own name on it. I have Redskins posters… Read More

japan-surrender

The Religious Right Is In Full Retreat, Same Sex Marriage Edition

The religious right is in complete retreat across the cultural battlefield. In truth, they have been in retreat for some time but the unfortunate success of the Bush campaign in 2004 was incorrectly viewed at the time as a great success of the movement, rather than its last gasp. Like segregationists in the south in… Read More

shocked-will-smith

Does The Religious Right Think The Bible Is Profane, “Destructive & Damaging”?

The ninnies at the far right anti-gay “American Family Association” sent out an action alert on Monday night, urging their lemmings — er, supporters, to jump all over Chevrolet and make annoying phone calls to local Chevy dealers because of this mildly amusing commercial. Their objection to the ad is its punchline, where the announcer… Read More

snowden

Leaked Documents Reveal America’s Greatest Military Secret

Illegally obtained documents leaked to this publication have revealed, for the first time apparently, the greatest military secret in the history of the United States. We can reveal, exclusively, that the United States has … a standing army. The details of this program, described as “the U.S. military” are laid out in documents obtained by… Read More

joe-manchin

Conservatism In The Real World: W. VA Complained About Coal Regulation 3 Months Ago, Now There’s An Epic Chemical Spill

Look, silly government red tape is useless and a hindrance to legitimate business — but some things need to be regulated, specifically fuel sources that are an environmental hazard in their production and use. Why? BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN DIE.

clinton-gingrich

Conservatives Rewrite History Again, Bill Clinton Edition

In order to cover up for their historic obstruction to enabling the basic functions of government under President Obama, conservatives have decided to do one of the things they do best: lie about history. In their retelling, Republicans were pleased to work side by side with President Bill Clinton, which resulted in the economic boom… Read More

dana-perino-bush

The Iraq Warmongers Are Back

It’s one thing to have been dead wrong about Iraq in 2003, but if you hold the same views in 2014 you’re an idiot. And yet here we have the same people – almost to a man and woman – banging the drums for U.S. Intervention in Iraq or lamenting the fact that there aren’t… Read More

1984-movie-big-brother

If Someone Is Watching, Should It Be The NSA?

Over the last few months I’ve honestly wrestled with the implications of Edward Snowden’s national security leaks. The part I’m unambiguous about is that he clearly broke the law, exposed American security to enemy elements and is a traitor — not a whistleblower. I feel that I’m on pretty solid ground when it comes to… Read More

Conrad-Alvin-Barrett

Did Fox News Inspire The White “Knockout Game” Attacker?

Conrad Alvin Barrett of Katy, TX, has been charged under the federal hate crimes laws for a “knockout” attack on a 79 year old black man. Police found out about the crime after Barrett showed the video he had taken to an officer. According to the FBI, he describes it as a “knockout” attack on… Read More

beyonce-challenger

7 Astronauts Died, Beyonce Uses Them As Background Noise

A friend passed on this new Beyonce video, XO, to me. I didn’t like the song but what was really jarring is that Beyonce uses the audio from mission control from the Challenger disaster as part of the intro. “Obviously a major malfunction” is what was said minutes after the shuttle exploded, taking the lives… Read More