Contributors

Ben Cohen

Ben Cohen is the editor of The Daily Banter and founder of Banter Media Group. Ben writes a regular column for the Huffington Post and is a regular guest on the RT Network. Ben covered boxing and Mixed Martial Arts for TrueSlant.com, Secondsouts.com, Black Belt Magazine, Boxing Monthly Magazine and ESPN.com. Originally from London, England he currently lives in Washington DC.

Top Articles by Ben Cohen

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 3.10.29 PM

Shouting Match With Conservatives on Washington’s Marijuana Laws, AP History and Malcolm X

Traditionally in America conservatives haven’t been crazy, but the modern Republican is a totally new breed. The toxic combination of underfunded public schools, relentless Fox News propaganda, and the cynical culture of anti-intellectualism has resulted in a truly terrifying generation of non-thinkers.

A-member-of-Ussud-Al-Anbar-Anbar-Lions-a-group-affiliated-to-the-Islamic-State-of-Iraq-and-the-Levant-AFP

MEMBERS ONLY: The US Broke Iraq and Now it Can’t Fix it

What happens when you invade the wrong country for the wrong reasons, fail to stop a civil war by refusing to rebuild it properly, then start bombing neighboring countries? If your answer is: “A complete and utter nightmare,” you’d be right.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 5.58.49 PM

UK Conservative’s Tax Dodge Advice Video is Just the Tip of the Iceberg

What do we make of political leaders in already deeply unequal countries explicitly giving out advice to the wealthy on how to game the tax system?

Photo by Wasim Ahmad/Stony Brook University School of Journalism

New York Times Journalist David Carr Dies in the Worst Month For Media Ever

In what is quickly becoming the worst month for media ever, the New York Time’s David Carr has passed away at the age of 58. If you needed reminding just how bad February of 2015 has been (and we’re only 13 days into the month as of time of publishing), here’s what has gone down so far:

anderson-silva

We Are All Responsible For Steroid Abuse in Sports

Over the past week, the world of Mixed Martial Arts has been rocked to its core by the revelation that Anderson Silva, widely recognized as the greatest Martial Artist in history, had tested positive for Drostanolone and Adrostane metabolites before his fight with Nick Diaz.

Assuming Silva’s test result is correct, why would an athlete of his stature take such a stupid risk?

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.43.25 PM

Debating Conservatives on the Economy and a Tiny Glimmer of Hope

“I had a funny experience after going on the Thom Hartmann’s show ‘The Big Picture’ last night, and one that made me cautiously optimistic for the future of America.”

o-PITCHFORK-facebook

When Rich People Are Worried About Wealth Inequality Expect The Pitchforks

When the rich begin to worry that poor people are too poor and that they might be too rich, it is probably a fairly good indicator that society is on the brink of big change.

Mike-Huckabee-screenshot

Mike Huckabee Gearing Up For 2016 By Accusing Obama of Hating Christians and Loving Muslims

At the risk of serious overkill following Mike Huckabee’s trail of idiocy these past few weeks, this latest story of stupidity really does warrant attention because it reveals a stark preview of what we should expect over the coming months as he gears up for 2016.

Mclovin

If McDonald’s Wants to Spread Lovin’, They Should Start With Their Employees

McDonald’s workers are the arbiters of the lovin’ for food deals, and if the commercial is anything to go by, they are positively giddy about spreading it.

Except they probably aren’t given the average worker at McDonald’s doesn’t earn enough money to actually live on.

celebration

A Huge Month For The Banter

It has been a while since we updated our readers on our progress here at the Banter, so we figured our stellar traffic numbers in January would be a good time to do it.

tony robbins

MEMBERS ONLY: Tony Robbins And The Bullsh*t Behind ‘Self Help’ America

Of all the bullshitters in the industry, the most dangerous are the most seemingly genuine, and Tony Robbins is probably the best in the business. Much of what Robbins says is probably quite helpful, and it would be dishonest to dismiss him as a complete fraud. Many people swear by his methods and based on testimonials, it appears he has helped a lot of people. Robbins is engaged in a lot of charity and does (sometimes) come across as a genuinely compassionate person. But there is a sinister side to his personal empowerment empire, and it is built upon the same fraudulent premise as the US economy itself.

andrew_sullivan

Shock in the Blogosphere as Andrew Sullivan Shuts Down the Dish

The blogosphere was in a state of shock last night as pioneer blogger Andrew Sullivan, almost completely out of the blue declared that he would be retiring from blogging.

children-guns-350x232

5 Year Old Shoots Baby Brother Dead Because Guns Are Awesome

The Daily Banter’s ‘[INSERT NAME] Shoots  [INSERT NAME(S)] Because Guns Are Awesome’ series covers the unfathomable tragedy wrought upon on every day Americans because of their love of guns. Not exactly heartwarming stuff. So why do we do this? This simple answer is that we feel Americans need to be confronted about the unnecessary death caused by… Read More

romney_documentary

Multi Millionaire Mitt Romney is Now Concerned About Wealth Inequality

For Mitt Romney, wealth inequality is about as important to him as Latino voting rights in SanFrancisco. But given it is election season, Romney apparently now cares about the poor he wrote off in 2012, and wants to stop wealth inequality. Of course!

dr king

Modern Republicans Have No Claim to Martin Luther King

If Republicans want to channel the spirit of Martin Luther King, they should start by reading him.

SALON FAKE

EXCLUSIVE: Salon.com Not a Real Website, Operated By Far Right Hate Group and Koch Brothers

The Daily Banter can exclusively reveal that the liberal website Salon.com is actually a fraudulent entity run by an extremist right wing hate group in Iowa with links to the Koch brothers and Rupert Murdoch. After an extensive investigation and an in-depth look into their inner workings, financial history, and roster of reporters, it has… Read More

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 1.53.34 PM

For The Love Of God, Stop Claiming More Guns Would Have Prevented Charlie Hebdo Attacks

Still a hot topic in the news, conservative commentators have been coming out in droves to a) demand a war on all Muslims, b) blame Obama, c) argue for more guns everywhere.

On Monday, Fox DC investigative reporter Emily Miller swung by the studio to claim that the terrorist attack in Paris was not prevented because instead of packing heat, French people carry iPhones. Yes, seriously.

office space

America’s New Economy Means No One Has a Life Anymore

Life in the new American economy is about work, work and more work. Add mountains of debt and spiraling costs, it is no wonder people are suffering from severe stress related diseases. Off to Spain, anyone?