Was Sarah Palin Sexually Harassed At Fox News?

Sarah Palin inserts herself into the Bill O'Reilly sexual harassment scandal at Fox News but not before shaming the victims like a good Republican.
Sarah Palin inserts herself into the Bill O'Reilly sexual harassment scandal at Fox News but not before shaming the victims like a good Republican.
Sarah Palin

Thanks to Derp Night At The White Power Corral, Sarah Palin is marginally relevant again, which resulted in Jake Tapper being forced to make sense of the word salads shooting out of her mouth this afternoon. And amazingly, Tapper somehow managed to sift through a nonsensical tornado about "flagging Alaska's underwater resources" and divine that Sarah Palin seemed to be heavily hinting that she was sexually harassed at Fox News. Via Raw Story:

Tapper asked Palin if she ever experienced any harassment while working at Fox News and she wouldn’t answer, saying only that he can ask Fox News why her contract wasn’t renewed. Palin did say that she wouldn’t accept any form of harassment and would absolutely speak up if it occurred.

“It sounds like you experienced something,” Tapper said.

“I just — you know, it was just time to part ways and, and, you know, get — get out there in, I guess, a more diverse arena to express views,” Palin concluded.

To Sarah Palin's credit, and those are words I never thought I'd write, she actually formed an almost complete sentence that took Fox News to task, and again, seemed to heavily imply that she knew firsthand about the sexual harassment. From Talking Points Memo:

Corporate culture there obviously has to change,” Palin, a former contributor at the network, said in an interview on CNN. “You know, women don’t deserve — they should not ever have to put up with any kind of intimidating workspace.”

Now, this is the part where I should really say that even someone like Sarah Palin doesn't deserve to be sexually harassed. And if you're wondering how that could happen to someone as famous as her, keep in mind, after John McCain's historical loss to Barack Obama, Palin was rapidly barreling toward obscurity. She needed Fox News more than Fox News needed Sarah Palin, and right there is a perfect target for a predatory environment that we now know Roger Ailes - and others still at the network - were blatantly cultivating for years. So, for a moment, it's a good thing to genuinely feel sympathy for Sarah Palin. That means you're human.

But then she kept talking.

"At the same time, if a woman believes she is being intimidated and harassed, she needs to stand up and do something about it, not stick around for a paycheck for years and years and years and then after the fact complain about what she went through."

"As a strong woman, I say we should feel more empowered than that and we should take a stand and get out of the place or you know, blow the whistle on whoever is the perpetrator doing the bad stuff so that the culture will change," Palin continued. "But yeah, obviously things are changing quickly at Fox."

Here's the thing: These women did blow the whistle. They did take a stand and go through the proper channels. Shit, at least one of them made it as far up the ladder as Roger Ailes - the same Roger Ailes who was inflicting his raw hamburger testicles on every woman in the building - so you'll never believe how that exchange ended. The Daily Beast:

[Kirsten] Powers complained about that incident to The O’Reilly Factor’s executive producer David Tabacoff, who, she recalled, told her, “Well, you know Bill. There's nothing we can do about it. He’s a throwback, he’s kind of an Archie Bunker.” He checked with O’Reilly, however, and informed Powers that—surprise—“he’s not going to apologize.”

She elevated her grievance to her own boss, who similarly told her, “It’s Bill, there’s nothing we can do.” And then Roger Ailes, too, allegedly confessed to her: “It's Bill, he's a jerk, nobody likes him. You know Bill, he likes to put up dirty pictures and ask pretty girls to talk about them.”

Ailes reportedly added: “I don't like him, but he makes so much money there's nothing I can do.”

As I wrote yesterday, the only reason why Bill O'Reilly got fired is because the headlines over lost advertisers were finally starting to threaten Rupert Murdoch's Sky TV merger. That's it. And just in case there's any doubt that Fox News still doesn't give a shit about sexual harassment after Roger Ailes, and aren't about to start now, they made Dana Perino - a woman - go on The Factor and give a glowing farewell to Bill O'Reilly without once mentioning why he'd left the network.

Not to mention, this happened on The Five the same exact day. Via Media Matters:

BOB BECKEL (CO-HOST): Instead of cutting every fact I've got and just saying, and laughing it off, because it's -- you know, it's four to one as it is. You might want to take some facts you don't like, because a lot of them have do with --

ERIC BOLLING (CO-HOST): Alright, give us one. Just give us one.

KIMBERLY GUILFOYLE (CO-HOST): All right, look at this -- waah, waah, crybaby. Call your camp counselor.

DANA PERINO (CO-HOST): Poor Bob, no.

BECKEL: Call your dressmaker, I mean --

GUILFOYLE: And give him a raise, that's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.

GREG GUTFELD (CO-HOST): You are giving America a raise.

GUILFOYLE: Oh my god.

But, no, Sarah Palin's right. It's the women's fault for not risking their careers at a workplace where the goddamn CEO is waddling around like The Penquin and Hugh Hefner switched bodies.

Sorry you were (maybe) sexually harassed though.