Panel of Psychiatrists Warn America: Trump Has 'Dangerous Mental Illness'

A group of psychiatrists have warned during a conference at Yale University that President Trump is not only unfit to lead the country, but has a "dangerous mental illness" and is "paranoid and delusional".
A group of psychiatrists have warned during a conference at Yale University that President Trump is not only unfit to lead the country, but has a "dangerous mental illness" and is "paranoid and delusional".
trump

While lampooning Donald Trump on a daily basis is the way some of us in the media cope with the absurdity of the political situation we find ourselves in, the truth is that the President of the United States isn't just incompetent, but clinically deranged. This isn't hyperbole, but a medical fact as  brutally spelled out by a group of psychiatrists during a conference at Yale University this week. From the Independent:

Donald Trump has a “dangerous mental illness” and is not fit to lead the US, a group of psychiatrists has warned during a conference at Yale University.

Mental health experts claimed the President was “paranoid and delusional”, and said it was their “ethical responsibility” to warn the American public about the “dangers” Mr Trump’s psychological state poses to the country.

Speaking at the conference at Yale’s School of Medicine on Thursday, one of the mental health professionals, Dr John Gartner, a practising psychotherapist who advised psychiatric residents at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, said: “We have an ethical responsibility to warn the public about Donald Trump's dangerous mental illness.”

The psychiatrists at the conference went into further detail about the president's serious personality disorder, painting an extremely alarming picture of the man tasked with leading the largest democratic nation on earth. The Independent continued:

James Gilligan, a psychiatrist and professor at New York University, told the conference he had worked some of the “most dangerous people in society”, including murderers and rapists — but that he was convinced by the “dangerousness” of Mr Trump.

“I’ve worked with some of the most dangerous people our society produces, directing mental health programmes in prisons,” he said.

“I’ve worked with murderers and rapists. I can recognise dangerousness from a mile away. You don’t have to be an expert on dangerousness or spend fifty years studying it like I have in order to know how dangerous this man is.”

Regardless of your political persuasion, the opinion of prominent mental health professionals like this should be enough to cause a major panic and spur a serious effort to get Trump out of office before he does more damage. Trump's first 100 days could not have been worse and there are no indications that it will get any better. To the contrary, he is likely to descend further into his manic paranoia and will attempt to take the country with him. It is true that Mike Pence would likely be worse from a straightforward policy perspective, but he is at least clinically of sound mind and understands how the government should theoretically work. As it stands, the United States is in the midsts of an terrifying crisis of its own making, with no one capable of leading it to safety

UPDATE: Yale got in contact with the Banter and sent us the following email

The panel at Yale School of Medicine abided by ‘the Goldwater rule.’ Eminent psychiatrists were invited to speak about whether there are other ethical rules that override it, as in ordinary practice. The organizer, Dr. Bandy Lee, agrees with the Goldwater rule, although she is troubled by its recent expansion (as of March 16, 2017) and the silencing of debate. She hopes that the public and politicians will understand that mental health issues are not to be used as a weapon. Psychologist Dr. John Gartner was invited as an activist but was not on the actual panel. The organizer emphasizes that the event was independent and did not represent the views of Yale University or Yale School of Medicine.