Keith Olbermann on Bill O'Reilly: "I Genuinely Thought He Was a Menace"

“People thought it was an act,” Olbermann said about his relentless mocking of O'Reilly. “I genuinely thought he was a menace.”
“People thought it was an act,” Olbermann said about his relentless mocking of O'Reilly. “I genuinely thought he was a menace.”
olbermann

On his nightly MSNBC show, Keith Olbermann used to spend an inordinate amount of time going after Bill O'Reilly, a man he viewed as being a misogynistic, dishonest fraud. On Wednesday though, Olbermann, who now works as a special correspondent for GQ Magazine, was not in a gloating mood now that O'Reilly has been kicked off the air.

“It’s not like I started jumping up and down,” Olbermann told Yahoo‘s Katie Couric.

“To me, this seemed inevitable. And in many respects, it’s so past the time it should have happened.”

“I presume the number of stories we know about is a fraction, could be 5 percent of the number of women who were bothered or even threatened by Bill O’Reilly during their time at Fox,” Olbermann told Couric. also telling her that he personally knows two of the women accusing the Fox host of harassment.

Olbermann also told Couric that his rivalry was real and wasn't a ratings scam. “People thought it was an act,” Olbermann said about his relentless mocking of O'Reilly. “I genuinely thought he was a menace.”

Olbermann also discussed O'Reilly's relationship with Donald Trump, who told the New York Times recently that he believes O’Reilly is “a good person," and that "personally, I think he shouldn’t have settled.”

“These two guys have similar interests unfortunately," said Olbermann. "And similar standards for their own conduct.”

While Olbermann may have downplayed his reaction to O'Reilly's demise on air, he wasn't quite so muted on Twitter. He posted this telling selfie to his followers:

The demise of Bill O'Reilly is long, long overdue so it is no wonder there isn't a great deal of sympathy for the man who helped turn right wing radio ranting into mainstream news. While Olbermann was no angel to work with either, he wasn't a sexual predator or a vindictive bully like his nemesis, so it's quite ok for him (and everyone else) to gloat.