Jeff Sessions Confirms He Will Do Nothing To Stop Racist Voter Suppression And Police Brutality

In Trump's America, it is now open season on the civil and voting rights of black people.
Avatar:
Justin Rosario
In Trump's America, it is now open season on the civil and voting rights of black people.
white supremacy

Jeff Sessions is already living up to his promise as a white supremacist with two back to back moves that will embolden institutional racism like nothing we've seen since Jim Crow.

On Monday, Jeff Sessions' Department of "Justice" announced it would no longer oppose Texas' blatantly racist voter ID law:

The justice department told plaintiffs in the case against the law that the government will formally end its opposition to the law, according to Danielle Lang, the deputy director of voting rights for the Campaign Legal Center.“

It’s a complete 360,” Lang told the Associated Press. “We can’t make heads or tails of any factual reason for the change. There has been no new evidence that’s come to light.”

The facts are quite clear: Jeff Sessions is continuing his war on civil rights going back over 30 years. And he's not stopping with just voting rights.

On Tuesday during a speech, Sessions made it abundantly clear that he was no longer going to investigate racist police departments that violate the civil rights of minorities:

In his first speech as attorney general, Mr. Sessions did not name any specific cities, but he indicated that Justice Department scrutiny from afar was undermining the effectiveness of the police across the country. It was a clear reference to the aggressive efforts of the Obama administration to oversee law enforcement agencies charged with civil rights abuses.

"We need, so far as we can, in my view, help police departments get better, not diminish their effectiveness,” Mr. Sessions said in remarks to the National Association of Attorneys General. “And I’m afraid we’ve done some of that. So we’re going to try to pull back on this, and I don’t think it’s wrong or mean or insensitive to civil rights or human rights.”

This is precisely what we knew would happen under a Republican president with a penchant for white nationalism. State Republicans could not possibly have a clearer signal that they have the administration's blessing to pass the most outrageous and overtly racist voter suppression laws they can think of. The police, long resentful of the Obama administration and groups like Black Lives Matter, will take out their anger on every black man they can find, secure in the knowledge that not a goddamn thing is going to happen to them.

Over the next year, look for dozens of voter suppression laws to come oozing out of Republican-controlled state legislatures, each one more egregious than the next. The only fly in the ointment is that a large number of federal judges were appointed by Obama and will not be sympathetic to the cause of a resurrected Jim Crow. The solution will be for Republicans to stuff as many ideologues on the bench as possible and, of course, to force through the nomination of Neil Gorsuch, or someone equally extreme. Once Republicans have control of the Supreme Court again, the sky's the limit for stealing the vote from millions of Those People.

At the same time, look for a sharp spike in police brutality and racial harassment. The police are, by and large, furious at having been heavily criticized for disproportionately stopping, arresting, assaulting, and murdering people of color and now it's time for some payback. After all, the police have to show those uppity Negroes who's in charge now that the black guy is out of the White House.

It's hard not to come off as bitter in the face of the smug indifference of people like Susan Sarandon that announced that Hillary was the bigger threat to America. It's even more difficult not to see red when former Bernie supporters take up the insipid cry of "#DemExit!" again after Tom Perez was elected leader of the Democratic Party. It's flat-out impossible to take any of these overwhelmingly white, safe, and more-liberal-than-thou people seriously when we're watching millions of our fellow liberals being put in the crosshairs, sometimes literally, just for the color of their skin.

If you continue to rail against "identity politics" after this, I submit to you that you are part of the problem. For many, their identity as nonwhite is their defining characteristic in a country run by white nationalists that will happily violate every civil right we fought for in order to punish people of color for daring to stand up for themselves. We can either stand with them and fight the coming wave of hate, violence, and systemic oppression, or we can squabble among ourselves about who is more progressive while the body count skyrockets.

- This article kills fascists