Conservative Misogyny Is Even Worse Than You Imagined

We're tackling Republican sexism like we always do but we're ignoring the much uglier and deeper hatred of women that's festering under the surface.
Avatar:
Justin Rosario
We're tackling Republican sexism like we always do but we're ignoring the much uglier and deeper hatred of women that's festering under the surface.
trump misogyny

It's hard to understand the right's hysterical hatred of feminism in general, and women like Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren specifically, without understanding the Men's Rights movement. In a nutshell, it's the gender equivalent of white nationalism; an entire worldview based on hatred of women, filled with mindless rage and incoherent talking points. In fact, the two increasingly overlap as both are predicated on a "victim" mentality that depicts white males as oppressed and marginalized.

Here is a perfect example of the mindset. The blog is called "Boycott Bitches: Why American Men Should Boycott America Women." When I first stumbled across it, I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not, the hate was so over the top. But, frankly, if it's a Poe, it so accurately reflects how Men's Rights Activists (MRAs) talk that it doesn't matter.

Here's the introduction:

I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don't know how to cook or clean, don't want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women?

American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least.

This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

Not to be flippant about it, but this manly man clearly has not has not had sex in quite some time, if ever. If you can believe it, it gets significantly uglier from there. But that's the cesspool that an unhealthy amount of our country lives in and the cesspool is growing in size.

Hatred of women is nothing new. The Bible and Koran are filled with a general loathing for women as is American history and conservative politics. What's different here is that this movement has the internet to connect it into a semi-cohesive whole, making it more organized and much more dangerous.

We saw the beginning of this phenomena with the "GamerGate" controversy. In early 2013, a mob of mostly men launched a massive online harassment campaign against women in the video game industry that went on for well over year (it hasn't actually ended, it's just not as intense at the moment). The bomb threats, death threats, promises of rape and torture, etc. mixed with a constant theme of deep hatred for women, creating a concerted and coordinated effort to terrorize women gamers, developers, and journalists. Why? Because they were intruding into the boy's club of video gaming and male gamers felt deeply threatened. They wanted all the icky girls gone from "their" world unless they were willing to be sex objects with no volition of their own. It's exactly how white nationalists view the world, but in gender instead of color. You can be their property, but that's it and god help you if you try to be their equal.

It's easy for liberals to understand racism, even in its most extreme form; this is America, we literally built it on the backs of slaves and genocide. We've been raised in a country rife with white supremacy both subtle and gross. That doesn't mean we agree with it but we understand it and know how to face it. This is not the case with the absolute hatred for women that is becoming part and parcel of the right. It's completely alien to our experience and thinking. Yes, we fully grasp sexism. We may even understand the misogyny of religious fundamentalists but we do not, as a group, understand the kind of secular misogyny of the Men's Right movement and that's a problem.

It's because of this blind spot that we didn't understand just how deep that anti-woman sentiment ran and so we underestimated the absolute rage Hillary Clinton inspired among Trump voters. If we decide that Elizabeth Warren (or anyone with ovaries) will be our standard bearer in 2020, we better come to grips with that rage right quick. In every study of what motivated people to vote for Trump, racism was #1 followed closely sexism. This is why Trump openly bragged about sexual assault and all it did was make his devoted followers love him even more. He was a man's man that did whatever he wanted to women, including raping them. That's a true alpha male, baby! Not like those beta male pussies on the left enslaved by ugly lesbian feminists.

Vox.com has an article detailing how the white nationalists of the "alt right" have been appealing to misogyny to recruit white males to their cause in large numbers. Again, since both movements are based on an imaginary victimhood, it's not all that difficult to seduce resentful white males. They're already convinced that women have ruined their life in some way so extending that hate to minorities doesn't take much effort.

This hate is slowly turning into a second center of gravity, pulling the conservative movement even further in a direction it was already moving in. Rape culture is sexism, openly advocating for legalizing rape is something else entirely. But legalized rape is not controversial in the world of MRAs. It's a natural outcome of a line of thought that says women exist explicitly to sexually pleasure men at their convenience. Agency, consent, and feminism all exist to strip men of their power and must be fought against, making the idea of a female president intolerable.

We on the left have to figure out a way to confront this growing disease among conservatives or we'll continue to underestimate what increasingly motivates the right beyond simple racism.

- This article kills fascists