Donald Trump Is Asked a Question About Anti-Semitism, Answers By Rambling Like a Mental Patient

This isn't a word salad. It's more like a word bouillabaisse.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
This isn't a word salad. It's more like a word bouillabaisse.

While a good portion of the country is rightly fixated today on the new details of the Trump administration's ties to Russia, the country that helped put Donald Trump in the White House in the first place, it's necessary once again to remind you that, irrespective of that, Trump is completely fucking nuts.

Today's case study comes to us from the joint press conference he held with BiBi Netanyahu this afternoon, specifically, from an answer he gave to an Israeli reporter who asked him a question about the rising tide of anti-Semitism in the U.S. since his election. (The question should've been directed to Trump-era anti-semitism's patient zero, Steve Bannon, who was reportedly standing just a few feet away.)

Here was the question:

"Mr. President, since your election campaign and even after your victory, we've seen a sharp rise in anti-Semitism -- anti-Semitism across the United States. And I wonder what you say to those among the Jewish community in the states and in Israel and maybe around the world, who believe and feel that your administration is playing with xenophobia and maybe racist tones. And Mr. Prime Minister, do you agree to what the president just said about the need for Israel to restrain or to stop settlement activity in the West Bank. And a quick follow-up on my friend's question. Simple question: do you back off from your vision to the end of the conflict of two-state solution as you lay out in (inaudible) speech, or you still support it? Thanks."

A tough question, certainly -- one of the few Trump got, given that among the American press outlets on hand, Trump only called on friendlies he knew would softball him -- and one with a lot of meat on it.

This, however, was Trump's response.

"Well, I just want to say that we are, you know, very honored by the victory that we had -- 316 electoral college votes. We were not supposed to crack 220. You know that, right? There was no way to 221, but then they said there's no way to 270. And there's tremendous enthusiasm out there. I will say that we are going to have peace in this country. We are going to stop crime in this country. We are going to do everything within our power to stop long simmering racism and every other thing that's going on. There's a lot of bad things that have been taking place over a long period of time. I think one of the reasons I won the election is we have a very, very divided nation, very divided. And hopefully, I'll be able to do something about that. And I, you know, it was something that was very important to me. As far as people, Jewish people, so many friends; a daughter who happens to be here right now; a son-in-law, and three beautiful grandchildren. I think that you're going to see a lot different United States of America over the next three, four or eight years. I think a lot of good things are happening. And you're going to see a lot of love. You're going to see a lot of love. OK? Thank you."

Yet another boast about his tremendous, tremendous election victory; a promise to "stop crime"; something about "bad things"; another mention of winning the election; a roll call of his children and their children; and "you're going to see a lot of love." There are people who've gone off Haloperidol against their doctor's advice who could give a more coherent answer than this giant, extended non-sequitur.

Trump is an idiot. There should be no arguing about that. More than that, he's a lazy idiot who has no desire to learn what he doesn't know because doing so would cut into his all-important cable TV time. But even more than that, there really isn't much of a question anymore about his mental state. To put it mildly, there's something very wrong with him.