During Botched Raid in Yemen, Trump Apparently Took the Night Off

Not only was the raid botched from the word "go," but the incompetent toddler who authorized it didn't even bother to show up inside the Situation Room to monitor the crisis.
Not only was the raid botched from the word "go," but the incompetent toddler who authorized it didn't even bother to show up inside the Situation Room to monitor the crisis.

Perhaps one of the most infuriating aspects of the Donald Trump presidency is the insufferable short-term memory loss of his voters. After the disastrous eight years of the Republican administration of George W. Bush -- two incompetently managed wars, an incompetent effort to hunt down Bin Laden, an incompetent response to a massive hurricane, and, of course, a recession that nearly destroyed the world economy -- 62 million voters declared in unison, Let's give those guys another chance!

The rest of us remember quite well -- one of the many reasons why we see too clearly the brutal incompetence of the Trump regime, and, because of this critical insight, we have a general idea how it's all going to turn out.

This week we learned that President Trump authorized a raid in central Yemen against al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). While general plans for raids like this one were greenlighted during the Obama administration, Trump steamed forward with plans for the attack after a mealtime discussion with his inner circle including Jared Kushner, Steve Bannon, and his national security adviser, Mike Flynn, who, by the way, was fired by Obama for incompetence at the Defense Intelligence Agency.

Reuters reported:

U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

So, Trump kneejerked his way into the attack, and, as a result at least 10 women and children were killed in the crossfire, including an 8-year-old girl who happened to be an American citizen. Worse, a member of the elite Navy SEAL Team 6 was killed in action.

And where was the man with the secret plan to defeat ISIS while this ill-conceived and poorly managed raid was taking place?

President Trump was in the White House residence. Before Trumpers race to the comments to claim fake news, here's L'il Seany Spicer to confirm:

What was the president doing in the residence while the raid was going badly? He was tweeting. I'm not making that up. At around the same time the raid was taking place, here's what was occupying Trump's time:

Women and children were being gunned down -- a Navy SEAL, Chief Petty Officer William "Ryan" Owens, was being gunned down -- while Trump tweet-raged at The New York Times because the paper keeps crushing his deeply fragile fee-fees. So, not only was the raid botched from the word "go," but the incompetent toddler who authorized it didn't even bother to show up inside the Situation Room to monitor the crisis.

Exacerbating the administration's incompetence, Spicer, during a press briefing on Wednesday, revealed the name of the wife of the slain SEAL Team 6 member, leaving her and her three children vulnerable to retaliation. Here's the official White House transcript.

SPICER: And I know that when the President spoke to Karen, his wife, and talked about the three children that he left behind, she continued to be impressed with -- to impress upon the President, rather, that while it was an unbelievably sad and emotional time for her and her family, that he loved doing this.

Unbelievably dumb.

Now, do I even need to ask the question? How apoplectic would the GOP be right now if this had been either Barack Obama or, worse, Hillary Clinton? The demands for impeachment would be (no pun intended) fast and furious. All we need to do is rewind to the Benghazi situation to know how the aftermath would've played out. We're talking about endless investigations, possibly culminating in articles of impeachment this time.

Yet Trump and his regime of deplorables appear to be getting a pass. The political press, for its part, is finally doing the right thing -- see also Reuters' excellent reporting, for example. It's the people and the Republicans who seem to not give a flying rip that Trump completely flummoxed his first strike against the evildoers, and, because he knows nothing, Americans are dead.

Sadly, they won't be the first to fall due to Trump's incompetence.