Quote of the Day: Trump Now Wants To "Close Up" the Internet, Because Why Should North Korea Have All the Fun?

It may actually be worth it if it means his Twitter feed is finally silenced.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It may actually be worth it if it means his Twitter feed is finally silenced.

"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet. We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people." -- Donald Trump, in a speech today at the U.S.S. Yorktown

We haven't even hit day one of the actual Trump presidency and already this has become a daily drip of soul-crushing, physically draining crap. So Cheeto Mussolini now says he wants to shut down parts of the internet because it's being used as both a recruitment tool and a means of communication for terrorists. And, in the predictably vague parlance of the kid who's bullshitting his way through a report on a book he never bothered to read, he wants to do it by going to see "Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening."

It goes without saying that shutting down internet access is what totalitarian countries do, those run by dictators who want to ensure that their citizens have no access to potentially anti-government information or means of communicating dissent. North Korea does it. China does it. Egypt did it during the Arab Spring. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly for a know-nothing like Trump, doing it in the United States is nearly impossible because of the sheer complexity of our internet services and the number of redundancies in place. As for trying to force our will upon other countries in that regard, well, good fucking luck.

But this is really more about the sentiment than the actual real-world application anyway. Trump is once again talking like a third-world tyrant. Because it's Thursday.

Oh, by the way, he is right about one thing -- we are losing a lot of people to the internet. How the fuck do you think he got here?