Trevor Noah's Interview With Tomi Lahren Was a Deceptively Powerful Rebuttal of Right Wing Propaganda

The interview was enlightening for a number of reasons, but mostly because of what it symbolized. Here was a black South African, living in New York City and presenting an overtly liberal comedy show speaking with a blond conservative woman from North Dakota in a civilized, non-combative manner.
The interview was enlightening for a number of reasons, but mostly because of what it symbolized. Here was a black South African, living in New York City and presenting an overtly liberal comedy show speaking with a blond conservative woman from North Dakota in a civilized, non-combative manner.
trevor noah.jpg

For nearly 30 minutes last night, Trevor Noah deftly took apart conservative firebrand and presenter of 'The Blaze' Tomi Lahren.

Noah did not engage in a shouting match with Lahren, and instead calmly exposed her hypocrisy on a number of issues including Trump's behavior towards women, the Black Lives Matter movement (that she accused of being "like the KKK"), flag burning and Colin Kaepernick.

Lahren is a big star in right wing circles because of her unabashed conservative views, bleached blond hair and, to put it mildly, fierce personality. She takes the view that white Americans are under attack, and believes her mission in life is to expose liberal hypocrisy and call people out "for their shit".

"I wish that we could disagree with each other without thinking we are bad people or ill-intentioned folks," said Lahren when asked what she wished people understood about her. "Because I criticized a black person or the Black Lives Matter movement doesn't mean I’m antiblack. It doesn't mean I don't like black people or that I'm racist."

Noah listened intently, clearly attempting to reach some common ground with his guest. But it was an uphill struggle as Lahren continued to regurgitate toxic right wing talking points she has become famous for.

“For somebody who is not racist, you have to spend a lot of time saying, ‘I’m not racist,’” Noah told her at one point.

When confronting her about her attacks on Colin Kaepernick, who Lahren believes did not voice his grievances in the “right way,” Noah brilliantly skewered her with an incredibly powerful question.

“Here is a black man in America who says, ‘I don’t know how to get a message across. If I march in the street, people say I’m a thug. If I go out and I protest, people say it’s a riot. If I bend down on one knee than it is not…’ What is the right way for a black person to get attention in America?”

Lahren of course, was not able to answer, so decided to change the topic as quickly as she could.

The interview was enlightening for a number of reasons, but mostly because of what it symbolized. Here was a black South African, living in New York City and presenting an overtly liberal comedy show speaking with a blond conservative woman from North Dakota in a civilized, non-combative manner. Both worked hard to keep the conversation courteous, and while neither backed down, Noah's intelligence shone through and he exposed much of Lahren's faulty thinking and unbridled anger.

More of this please.