Texas Electoral College Member: "I Can Not and Will Not Vote For Donald Trump For President"

Yes, it's "only" 2 out of 538, but this isn't normal. None of this is normal.
Yes, it's "only" 2 out of 538, but this isn't normal. None of this is normal.
donald-trump-yelling-full-169-996x497.jpg

In 2000, the Electoral College fell under intense scrutiny after Al Gore won the popular vote by 500,000 or so votes but lost the election. One Electoral College elector abstained from voting against the plurality of American citizens but the election still went to Bush (thanks to the most partisan Supreme Court ruling in American history). This year's election has a much more marked difference (2.4 million and rising) between the popular vote and the Electoral College votes and millions of people feel that their voices have been silenced. In an outcry of national regret, thousands have reached out to beg electors to save us from the unmitigated disaster of an unqualified clown in the White House.

It's unclear how much of an impact this effort is having but it certainly reached one of the electors.

Art Sisneros, a Texas elector, has decided that his morality precludes actively voting for Trump and has resigned from the Electoral College. He feels so strongly that he described voting for Trump as a "dishonor to God," though he knows his choice won't stop Trump's election:

“If Trump is not qualified and my role, both morally and historically, as an elected official is to vote my conscience, then I can not and will not vote for Donald Trump for President. I believe voting for Trump would bring dishonor to God,” Sisneros wrote. “The reality is Trump will be our President, no matter what my decision is.”

Sisneros was not the first elector to fall this year. In Georgia, Elector Baoky Vu publicly announced back in August that he would withhold his vote from Donald Trump should he win. Five hours later, as his burgeoning rebellion faded to a resignation, the headlines read: An Electoral College revolt against Donald Trump is quickly quashed in Georgia. Vu released the following in a joint statement with his state GOP chair, John Padgett.

“My public expressions of misgivings about our party’s nominee has led to events that would be detrimental to the promotion of our party’s platform of limited government, free enterprise, and liberty. Thus, I am tendering my resignation as a presidential elector,”

The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. A good number of us are bargaining (read as: Begging") with the Electoral College to perform its historical function to safeguard the nation from a man with no experience, no composure, no trustworthiness (to anyone who values telling the truth), and no desire to avoid conflicts of interest. Not even our well-seasoned system can insulate the electors from the fear that their decision is one that will ring out through history as the worst choice ever made in our long history of sometimes dubious choices. They each have decisions to make and the fact that two have resigned instead of voting for their own party's nominee is a shock. This is not normal.

However, we will, and must, survive this dubious choice. Our system was designed to stop tyrants, though it is unbalanced and wobbly right now with a majority of Republicans. The truth is that we are in an untenable situation and must start winning elections in 2018 to salvage this tragic turn of events. Nothing, barring a complete miracle, is going to stop Trump from taking the White House in January. We must make it just as crystal clear that this isn't the end and nothing will stop us from taking the country back.