Trump Blames Media For Hillary Clinton Assassination Comments Because of Course

Well that didn't take long. Donald Trump has now officially blamed the media for his encouragement of Second Amendment nut jobs to assassinate Hillary Clinton.
Well that didn't take long. Donald Trump has now officially blamed the media for his encouragement of Second Amendment nut jobs to assassinate Hillary Clinton.
Trump Hannity.png

Well that didn't take long. Donald Trump has now officially blamed the media for his encouragement of Second Amendment nut jobs to assassinate Hillary Clinton.

Speaking with his best media friend Sean Hannity on Fox News, Trump told viewers that "dishonest" journalists were actually responsible for his comments. Yes, seriously. Here's the the transcript of the interview (bold emphasis is ours):

SEAN HANNITY: “So earlier today you were talking about the Second Amendment. And I’m going to play what you said, and then we’ll talk about how the media reacted to it.”

DONALD TRUMP (CLIP): “Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, if she gets to pick… if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is. I don't know. But I’ll tell you what. That will be a horrible day if -- if Hillary gets to put her judges. Right now we're tied; you see what's going on. We're tied because Scalia, this was not supposed to happen. Justice Scalia was going to be around for ten more years at least, and this is what happens. That was a horrible thing.”

HANNITY: “You know, so obviously you’re saying that there’s a strong political movement within the Second Amendment, and if people mobilize and vote, they can stop Hillary from having this impact on the court. But that's not how the media is spinning it. What’s your reaction to it?”

TRUMP: “Well, I just heard about that, and it was amazing because nobody in that room thought anything other than what you just said. This is a political movement. This is a strong, powerful movement, the Second Amendment. You know, Hillary wants to take your guns away. She wants to leave you unprotected in your home. This is a tremendous political movement. The NRA, as you know, endorsed me. They’re terrific people. Wayne and Chris and all of the people over there. And by the way, they've already -- I just saw they tweeted out basically they agree 100% with what I said. And there can be no other interpretation. Even reporters have told me, I mean give me a break. But they're dishonest people. What it is is there's a tremendous power behind the Second Amendment. It’s a political power, and there are few things so powerful, I have to say, in terms of politics. There is few things. And I happen to think that if they actually did even bring this up, I think it's a good thing for me because it's going to tell people more about me with respect to the Second Amendment because Hillary Clinton wants to essentially abolish the Second Amendment. And if she puts Supreme Court justices on, she will decimate your Second Amendment.”

Mining through the lies in this breathlessly idiotic conversation would take too long (no, Hillary does not want to abolish the Second Amendment, no she doesn't want to take your guns away, no reporters didn't tell Trump anything, etc etc), but the major theme here is that poor little Donald was badly treated by the nasty journalists out to get him. This of course is complete nonsense given the media simply relayed what Trump actually said. And as a reminder, here it is again:

"And by the way, if she gets to pick --if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know."

What exactly could Second Amendment people do politically about Clinton's Supreme Court picks? If Trump genuinely believes this, then he knows absolutely nothing about how America's political system works. Of course this wasn't what he meant -- he was making a joke about gun fanatics killing Clinton and whoever she picks as a Supreme Court judge.

Trump, as usual, is trying to lie his way out of an enormous gaffe that is going to cost him very, very dearly in the polls.