Joe Scarborough Falsely Claims DNC Leaks Show Plan to ‘Ridicule’ Bernie for Being ‘a Jew’

This is not the only lie being told about the leaked emails, but it's a bad one.
This is not the only lie being told about the leaked emails, but it's a bad one.

I'll have more later on the blizzard of bullshit that's being spread about the latest Wikileaks dump of DNC emails, but here's a little appetizer: On Monday morning’s Morning Joe, host Joe Scarborough, in discussing the leaked DNC emails, claimed that DNC officials planned to “ridicule” Bernie Sanders for being “a Jew,” and “not even a practicing Jew, who may be an atheist”:

This is a fucking lie, only slightly worse than all the other lying liars who are saying the DNC wanted to "attack Bernie Sanders' religious beliefs," a clear implication that they were being anti-semitic.

The email is from a chain in which DNC CFO Brad Marshall suggests getting “someone” to question Bernie Sanders over his religious beliefs. The email doesn’t name Sanders, but it’s fairly obvious, despite Marshall’s quasi-denial:

It might may no difference, but for KY and WVA can we get someone to ask his belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist.

This is plainly disgusting on a number of levels, but it clearly is not a "plan," it's one guy talking out of his ass, a guy who plainly is not a strategist, and it's not about “ridiculing” Sanders, and to the extent his Jewish background is discussed, it is discussed as a positive, not a negative. Atheism is not a religious belief, and the "plan" was not to ridicule, but simply to ask. Obviously, Marshall's suggestion was never acted upon, and by the way, Bernie is not an atheist, not that there's anything wrong with that.