The Real Problem in America: Assholes Like Rudy Giuliani

Giuliani's views on black crime and the black community almost perfectly illustrates why America is such a racialized and divided society.
Giuliani's views on black crime and the black community almost perfectly illustrates why America is such a racialized and divided society.
giuliani-cpac-2007.jpg

The self proclaimed hero of 9/11 and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani has a message for black America:

Your deaths at the hands of the police are your own fault.

During an appearance on CBS’s “Face the Nation over the weekend, Giuliani stated that other black people are the "real danger" to the black community.

“If I were a black father, and I was concerned with the safety of my child, really concerned about it and not in a politically activist sense, I would say, ‘Be very respectful of the police," said Giuliani to host John Dickerson."Most of them are good. Some can be very bad. And just be very careful.”

“I’d also say, be very careful of those kids in the neighborhood and don’t get involved with them because, son, there’s a 99 percent chance they’re going to kill you, not the police," he went on.

"And we’ve got to hear that from the black community. And what we’ve got to hear from the black community is how and what they are doing among themselves about the crime problem in the black community.”

Astonishingly, Giuliani also had the temerity to call the Black Lives Matter movement "inherently racist", apparently implying the black community has no right to protest their own slaughter -- a truly revolting statement that we have sadly come to expect from assholes like Rudy Giuliani.

Because we should of course forget about the 116 black people killed by law enforcement officers this year alone. We should also actively ignore the ProPublica investigation that found that young black men are shot dead by police at 21 times the rate of young white men. Instead, we need powerful white men lecture the black community on what is good for them. Because what do facts matter when your racist ideology doesn't conform to them?

Giuliani's views on black crime and the black community almost perfectly illustrates why America is such a racialized and divided society. Unable to see anything in context, Giuliani blames African Americans for the predicament they find themselves in after centuries and centuries of legalized discrimination, persecution and murder. The notion that blacks in America simply need to "get their act together" is a popular one in white conservative circles, because it conveniently exonerates them from any responsibility they may bear in creating the crime ridden communities they condemn so readily.

You don't need to be particularly well versed in history to understand just how badly African Americans have had it in their own country. The simple fact that they didn't have equal voting rights until 50 years ago, and despite supposed equal economic opportunity, are on average almost 13 times poorer than white families should say it all.

American wealth was largely built on the back of free African slave labor -- a debt white America has never, ever paid back. Instead, white America incarcerates blacks at a greater rate than any other minority, putting more black men in jail than there were slaves in 1850. African Americans are still discriminated against in almost every aspect of American life, yet Giuliani thinks these problems are their own doing, and the brutality doled out to them by the police for their own good.

But what exactly would he know? Giuliani has always displayed the self awareness of an amoeba, so his opinion on the lives of African Americans are worth about as much as his views on this year's presidential election -- absolutely nothing.

Instead of lecturing African Americans on what is good for them, perhaps Giuliani should start listening to them instead. He would of course come to learn what civilized people already do: that he is the real problem in America, not the other way around.