The Brexit Movement Has Fallen Apart After Spineless Leaders Abandon Ship

If you thought the fallout from the Brexit debacle in the UK could not get any worse, two of the leading voices of the Brexit movement have now abandoned ship, abdicating responsibility for the gigantic mess they have created.
If you thought the fallout from the Brexit debacle in the UK could not get any worse, two of the leading voices of the Brexit movement have now abandoned ship, abdicating responsibility for the gigantic mess they have created.
Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson: Quitters

Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson: Quitters

If you thought the fallout from the Brexit debacle in the UK could not get any worse, two of the leading voices of the Brexit movement have now abandoned ship, abdicating responsibility for the gigantic mess they have created.

First, Boris Johnson abruptly quit the conservative leadership contest last week after being publicly humiliated and betrayed by his chief supporter Michael Gove, and now Nigel Farage, the loudmouthed bigot and UKIP (UK Independence Party) leader has stepped down because he wants his "life back".

To call these jokers spineless would be a gross understatement. They built a movement based on an extraordinary amalgamation of lies and propaganda, got exactly what they wanted, then quit when it transpired that there was no plan in place to extricate Britain out of Europe without causing massive financial and political damage.

Johnson's quick departure without a modicum of a fight speaks volumes of the man. While his Machiavellian assassin did not topple Johson for moral reasons, Gove did brutally expose the former Mayor of London for his fecklessness. Johnson crumbled like a house of cards under the pressure and Britain is better off without him.

Farage's sudden departure was perhaps more shameful given Farage's mouthiness in the lead up to the referendum, and his gloating thereafter. The gobby nationalist flagrantly whipped up xenophobia to help tip the vote to leave, then had the audacity to go to the European Parliament and openly mock its members, telling them amidst a barrage of insults that "virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in your lives."

For him to then quit his job days after on the basis that his personal life was suffering was not only a supreme act of hypocrisy, but a betrayal of everything his supporters believed him to be.

"During the referendum campaign I said I want my country back," Farage told his supporters. "What I'm saying today is I want my life back."

Farage got his country back (whatever that means), but has destroyed the lives of millions of people in the process due to his own inability to think about, well, anything. The aftermath of the 'Leave' vote saw, as the Independent reported:

The sterling fall to a three-decade low against the dollar and the FTSE fall sharply. Some major international companies have since announced plans to move their headquarters out of London.

Nearly two weeks after the vote there remains significantly uncertainty about what economic course Britain will take – with questions about freedom of movement, EU budget contributions, and single market access all in dispute.

While the country faces massive economic uncertainty, Farage, the ultra privileged former financial trader will be just fine, as will the equally well-to-do Johnson who will no doubt return to his hugely lucrative gig as a columnist for the conservative newspaper the Daily Telegraph.

But then it is likely Johnson and Farage never really cared whether Britain was in our out of the European Union anyway -- they made their names and political careers opposing it, then fled after their supposed dreams came true.

Former Tory MP Ken Clark was caught on camera yesterday saying as much about Boris Johnson, saying:

"I don't think either Andrea Leadsom [a candidate to lead the Conservatives] or Boris Johnson actually are in favour of leaving the European Union," said Clark to fellow guest and former conservative cabinet minister Sir Malcolm Rifkind.

And Rifkind did not disagree.

"Well I don't think they even cared very much either way," he responded.

Unfortunately for the British public, they have now seen how little pro-Brexiters actually cared about leaving the European Union, and now have to clear up the Godawful mess they have created.