Trump Campaign Forgets Existence of Internet, Gives Melania Trump Michelle Obama's 2008 Convention Speech

It wasn't just a chance that a political junky with a good memory would notice the similarities -- it was a near certainty given the attention this presidential election is getting.
It wasn't just a chance that a political junky with a good memory would notice the similarities -- it was a near certainty given the attention this presidential election is getting.
Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 1.39.07 AM.png

In another monumental gaffe from the team supposedly organizing Donald Trump's bid to become president, Melania Trump was given Michelle Obama's 2008 Democratic convention speech to regurgitate almost word for word at the Republican convention.

Just watch:

Here is the text comparison (via the Huff post):

“From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect,” Trump told the thousands of Republican delegates and assembled media on Monday night in Cleveland.

In 2008, Mrs. Obama said, “You work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.”

Trump’s spouse also lifted a line about children from Michelle Obama, saying, “We want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

In 2008, Michelle Obama said, “We want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

The similarities are so striking that it is impossible to think Obama's speech was not directly plagiarized.

The media should leave Melania Trump alone on this one though -- it's fairly evident she has no understanding of American politics and was basically doing her husband a favor by 'humanizing' him (or whatever political image consultants call it). It's unlikely she had much input in her speech was essentially handed a script by her husband's campaign to read and not screw up. Melania did her job, but unfortunately for her, the people running her husband's campaign did not.

Those responsible on the campaign team should be fired immediately for this kind of amateur move, particularly in the age of the internet where there are literally thousands of copies online of Michelle Obama speaking at the Democratic convention. It wasn't just a chance that a political junky with a good memory would notice the similarities -- it was a near certainty given the attention this presidential election is getting.

Given the spectacular missteps Trump's campaign have made over the past few weeks, this act of blatant plagiarism wasn't particularly surprising. It was however a fantastic example of just how stupid the people around Trump are, and further evidence that his campaign is in very serious trouble.