Dear White People: Here's How Not to Show Empathy for Black People

For a start, maybe don't yell at them on TV.
For a start, maybe don't yell at them on TV.

In the wake of this week’s tragedies, presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton called on white Americans to express empathy by listening to the experiences of black Americans. That empathy was the topic of discussion on this week's Meet the Press.

Apparently, Republican strategist Mary Matalin missed the memo, because as soon as Professor Michael Eric Dyson started to share some of those experiences, she put her hand up to try and interrupt him, and when he still managed to finish his thought, she impatiently told him “I get it!”, but really wanted to get back to the point that Republican panelist Michael Gerson, the other white person on the panel, was making:

Matalin: Professor, we got that point, and I want to speak to Mike’s point.

Prof. Dyson: It’s empathy with justice. It’s not just getting it, it’s understanding it.

Matalin: I get it!

Do you, though? The point Matalin was so desperate to get back to was, as Gerson said earlier, the need for “people in the white community (to) understand that minorities experience our justice system different than we do, and in ways that we would not tolerate.”

Nice job.